• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
uutee

MIDP - (essentially) nonblocking Connector.open?

This topic is 4879 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm using Sun's WTK2.2 to develop mobile apps. I use GCF for networking. Now, if we use a UI thread to open a connection (calling Connector.open(...)), WTK gives a warning: "to avoid potential deadlocks, blocking operations (such as networking) should be called from threads other than UI" Now, question arise: 1) Is this "deadlocking", that WTK talks about, real deadlocking (nightmare) or just user interface blocking (inconvenient, but not a nightmare)? Or is there some easy deadlock trap to be fallen in when calling blocking operations from the UI thread? 2) Just by the way, I haven't been able to find a version of Connector.open that DOESN'T block - does such even exist in MIDP, or is there really no way to open a client->server connection without that wee bit of blocking? -- Mikko

Advertisement
There isn't a way. Or rather, the way to get "non-blocking" behaviour is to do it in a separate thread, just like it suggests to you. That way, only that thread blocks (waiting for the connection to actually open).

It's the same as any other blocking I/O, e.g. like using "cin.get()" to pause a C++ program. The thread making the request can't do anything until the other end actually responds - which could be a long time in "processor years". And if somehow a "circular wait" gets set up (i.e. someone other thread blocks waiting for your thread to finish, but your thread is somehow also dependent on that other one), you get deadlock - in the real sense.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!