• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

ray tracer: calculating shading normal and texture coordinates

This topic is 4730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ello, i am using the function of Tomas Moller and ben Trumbore to calculate the intersection with a triangle:
    intersect_triangle(float orig[3], float dir[3], float vert0[3],       
		       float vert1[3], float vert2[3],     
                       float *t, float *u, float *v); 
It returns also the barycentric coordinates u and v. Can i use them to calculate the texturecoordinates of the intersection point? How can i use them to calculate the texturecoordinates? I got the texturecoordinates of the vertices of the triangle. If i could use u and v, i dont have to calculate again the barycentric coordinates. I compute the shading normal as follow with u and v from the function intersect_triangle:
float* Hit::getShadingNormal(void)
  {
    if (!triangle->surface->vnorm)   // no per-vertex normals
      return triangle->normal;
    else {
      const R3* n = triangle->getNormals();
      PINT(n[0], n[1], n[2], s, t, normal);
      R3NORMALIZE(normal);
      return &normal[0];
    }
  }

/* Point IN Triangle: barycentric parametrisation */
#define PINT(v0, v1, v2, u, v, p)     {						        double _u = (u), _v = (v); 							(p)[0] = (v0)[0] + _u * ((v1)[0] - (v0)[0]) + _v * ((v2)[0] - (v0)[0]);		(p)[1] = (v0)[1] + _u * ((v1)[1] - (v0)[1]) + _v * ((v2)[1] - (v0)[1]);		(p)[2] = (v0)[2] + _u * ((v1)[2] - (v0)[2]) + _v * ((v2)[2] - (v0)[2]);	

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!