• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
CJWR

help with making a 2D directx based game engine

This topic is 4882 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello, i'm trying to create a 2d game engine using directx 7. i'm having some trouble creating it and i was wondering if there are any guides on the net with infomation on this topic. this is going to be an object based engine. thank you for your time and help.

Advertisement
Well, I dont know much about DirectX (OGL guy myself) but I will try to help you with what you need for a basic engine. Do you want it to be tile-based like Mario or an engine for a more specific type of game? Let me know and I will try to help you.

[Edited by - Sir Sapo on June 8, 2005 1:39:35 PM]

Quote:
Original post by CJWR
this is going to be an object based engine.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. Do you mean "object oriented" as in code, like classes and structs? Or do you mean objects within the game, like scenery and boxes to jump on and things like that?

EDIT: Just realized this post doesn't make much sense considering no one asked this question, don't know what I was looking at LOL.

A Tile based engine is an engine in which the viewable playing area is split up into a grid and each grid square can have a unique "type". Each type might be either walkable, unpassable, or have any number of attributes associated with them. Each type also has a corresponding tile image to go with it, and thats what is displayed on screen. So for instance, you have a building tile, you make it have a image that looks like a building, and make it unpassable so the player can't go through it. Anyways, I dont know if thats a good explanation of a Tilemap , so heres one from wikipedia.

Quote:

Video and computer games
A tile-based game is a specific type of video or computer game where the playing area consists of small rectangular or, more often, square graphic images, referred to as 'tiles.' Tiles may be laid out adjacent to one another and usually some are allowed to overlap, for example the tile representing the player's character. These types of games usually try to simulate a top-down view on the playing area and are almost always two dimensional.

Some games, like side-scrollers are, technically, also tile based (that is, the playing area is made up of graphic tiles), but are normally not referred to as such.

Tile-based computer games include:

Centipede
Civilization series
Dig Dug
Heroes of Might and Magic series
Pac-Man
Rogue
SimCity
Ultima series (through Ultima IV)
Tile-based games are not a genre unto themselves, but rather refer to the technology a game uses for its visual representation. For example, Ultima III is a role-playing game, but visually it is tile-based.

Early tile-based games shipped with pre-constructed levels or generated levels at game startup (for example, with SimCity and Civilization) or on the fly (as with Roguelike games). Recently, however, most games come with an editor that allow players to construct their own levels. While completed levels for a game may hide all traces of tile-based technology, use of an editor for such a game strips away all polish and reveals a game's tile-based framework.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tile-based_game"

Anyways, a tile-based engine can still be object oriented. BTW what language are you writing this in, C++? If you are, and are not experienced in making classes, I recommend brushing up on that before you get started on this engine.

So what kind of game do you want to make with this engine, that will help us flesh out what you really need.

[Edited by - Sir Sapo on June 8, 2005 1:06:23 PM]

it is going to be a tile based adventure game. simualar to the old zelda games.

by object based, i mean classes. a class that holds a bitmap and it's x and y size, as well as all functions to load a bitmap from the harddrive.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!