• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mike74

screen recording

This topic is 4879 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Let's say you're making a utility to record the screen to an AVI file. Does anyone know the most efficient way of capturing each frame of the screen? One simple way is obviously to do GetPixel calls for each pixel. Another way is to get a device independent bitmap of the screen. I've found both ways to be quite slow. I guess I can get a device dependent bitmap, but converting it will probably be slow. Any ideas on how to do this really quickly? Anyone know what programs like VNC use to continuously query the screen? Thanks. Mike C. http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer/

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by mike74
Let's say you're making a utility to record the screen to an AVI file. Does anyone know the most efficient way of capturing each frame of the screen?

One simple way is obviously to do GetPixel calls for each pixel. Another way is to get a device independent bitmap of the screen. I've found both ways to be quite slow.

I guess I can get a device dependent bitmap, but converting it will probably be slow.

Any ideas on how to do this really quickly? Anyone know what programs like VNC use to continuously query the screen?

Thanks.

Mike C.
http://www.coolgroups.com/zoomer/

VNC like programs used to hook messages and to grab the screen periodicaly. VNS is sometime out of sync with the client computer screen - you can see this when it redraw the small box which is behind the mouse cursor.

If you want to record and AVI then you don't have much choice (sidenote: I don't know enough DirectShow to know whether it can do the job for you but you may check this yourself). If you are using either D3D or OpenGL then you can probably hook those to save the method call then replay them. If you are using plain GDI, you have to remember that pain is only a word... :)

Regards,

Just a suggestion, do you have to convert the ddb right away? Or can you collect a bunch of ddb's and convert them all after you have recorded from the screen?

-Greg

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!