• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Promit

Free Resource Thread (updated 5/27/06)

84 posts in this topic

Ok, so the point of this thread is simple -- to list as many free resources as possible that people can use for their contest entries. Graphics Engines Ogre 3D Nebula Device Jad (formerly Haddd) Irrlicht Haaf's Game Engine (hardware accelerated 2D games engine) Axiom 3D (OGRE for .NET) TrueVision Revolution3D Genesis3D Crystal Space 3D Panda3D Quake 3 Source Code Quake 2 Source Code Quake 2 (complete sources) Tenebrae (Quake with per pixel lights and shaders) Wild Magic (David Eberly's engine) Apocalyx ClanLib Game SDK DevLib kjAPI Portable Game Library (PLIB) RealmForge GDK Delta3D G3D NeoEngine QuakeForge XEngine Yake Kyra Sprite Engine Libraries Free Game Development Libraries (external list) Graphics: Crazy Eddie's GUI system Cal3D (character animation library) GLFW (OpenGL Framework) GLee (OpenGL easy extension library) DevIL Game Texture Loader SDL Cpw (another OGL framework) Allegro Open Scene Graph Corona Titan SFont CxImage CImg FreeImage BMF_Font BFont FreeType (font rendering library) PaintLib GLEW (OpenGL extension wrangler library) gluX GLUT FreeGLUT Open Inventor FTGL (OpenGL Font Library nVidia Scene Graph SDK OpenSG ParaGUI LibUFO (OpenGL GUI Toolkit) GPUmesh GNU Triangulated Surface Library libASE lib3DS GLOD (Geometric Level of Detail for OpenGL) Video: FFmpeg Dirac Theora XviD Networking: RakNet OpenTNL (Torque network library) HawkNL OpenPlay ReplicaNet Game Networking Engine Sound: FMOD OpenAL Audiere BASS libsndfile Ogg Vorbis Physics and Collision: Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) Tokamak Newton Game Dynamics NovodeX SDK Physical True Axis Open Dynamics Framework ColDet (Free 3D Collision Detection Library) Opcode RAPID FreeSOLID V-Collide Scripting and XML: Python IronPython Lua AngelScript CInt EOS GameMonkey Script Guile IO javascript Squirrel Small Ruby Tcl Perl LibXML TinyXML Expat Apache XML libraries ezXML Compression and File Systems: zlib bzip2 LZMA SDK LZO PhysicsFS #ZipLib (native C# archive library) SharpFS (native C# VFS) unrarlib ZipArchive Note: Much of the above lists (but not all) were taken from this page, maintained by Kylotan here. Applications and Utilities: Development Environments: Visual Studio 2005 Express Code::Blocks IDE Dev-C++ SharpDevelop ActivePython Graphics Development: gDEBugger FX Composer RenderMonkey NVIDIA SDK ATI Radeon SDK DirectX Developer Center NVIDIA Cg Sh (shader language) Modeling: SoftImage|XSI Mod Tool Milkshape 3D (not free, $25) Wings 3D Blender Anim8or DeleD World Building: Quake Army Knife (QuArK) GtkRadiant Getic3D Audio: ModPlug Audacity SynthEdit Buzz Machines KVR Audio (not actually software, but has tons of links) Images: Paint.NET (excellent free image editor) The GIMP BMFont (font texture generator) Media Textures: Transmogrifying Textures Vol. I (NVIDIA) Mayang's Free Textures 3D Cafe's Free Textures Absolute Background Textures Archive Image * After Media Link's Free Backgrounds and Textures Free Game Textures Seamless Textures -- Absolute Cross 3D Millenium Free Textures Pixel Poke The Texture Studio Textures Marlin Studios Free Foto Free Textures Free Textures MorgueFile Psionic3D Models: 3D Millenium Free Models Polycount Marlin Studios Free 3D Model Collections Free 3D Models Digital Animators Models Psionic3D Free 3D Models for 3D Studio Max Sprites This thread has lots...and lots...and lots... Sounds: SFX and Music Resources (another long GDNet post) Jamendo (Creative Commons licensed music) A1 Free Sound Effects Sound Effects Tintagel's Free Sound File Archive Free Sound Effects Sound Hunter Wav Sound Complete Archive deusX Sound Design FindSounds (sound search engine) Absolute Sound Effects Archive That's all I've got for now. Still need plenty of resources in the art and music department...free sounds, free textures, free models, free music, and of course, many more utilities. [Edited by - Sneftel on August 30, 2007 9:24:18 AM]

Wow... Come on now, we don't want to be helping people too much, now do we?[wink]

Cool, nice job!
Maybe another category for free textures and other game graphics?

Quote:
Original post by WanMaster
Maybe another category for free textures and other game graphics?

I was working on it as an edit, I needed a short break [lol]

My bad! I just saw I never rated you up :/ This has been corrected. Thanks for your work, dear Promit :)

Hey Promit I have already rated you up before, so erm just thanks this time - awesome one-stop post there [grin]

Nice list of links, pitty I can't rate you up any further.

I maintain a list of places you can get SFX (and some music, but not as much as of yet) here which includes a reasonable list of free SFX sources if anyone is after some. That reminds me... must update that list...

Ok, I've linked in DeleD and Kazgoroth's list. Still looking for more apps/utilities and artwork.

I plan on writing an updated version of hxRender in C++ instead of C. I will make this publicly available for anybody interested.

Oh, and get ready to be taken to school on this one. I need a good project to flex my muscle on.

Now that we have a huge list of content, who is going to go through it and find the pirate, ninja, zombie, and robot models/sounds/textures/etc =-P

These are "free" resources, ok, but are we allowed to use them ? I suppose we need to get the rights to use them, so we have to contact the authors in order to get a written authorization.. that's good for the theory, but will that rule be enforced by gamedev.net (ie. if you use some "free" resources without the explicit author agreeement, you will get disqualified?).

Y.

Quote:
Original post by Ysaneya
These are "free" resources, ok, but are we allowed to use them ?

That's the whole point. I did (quick) checks on all the links to confirm that their licenses were actually compatible with the competition. Now, that's not to say that you should immediately assume you can download and use whatever you want. A lot of these things (the engines and libraries in particular) have a lot of conditions on their use, so you need to be aware of the different restrictions that different things have. So, they are all usable, but not necessarily without strings attached.

(I added Polycount to the links.)

Quote:
Original post by Ysaneya
(ie. if you use some "free" resources without the explicit author agreeement, you will get disqualified?)

Yes. And, beyond getting permission to use the resources yourself, you also need to get permission for us (GDNet) to use them (e.g. if we want to show off your entry at GDC2006 to help promote the site). See here for a more in-depth answer.

Don't forget that Psionic has free zombie and ninja models (textured and animated) on his website.

This seriously has to be the mother of all resource threads...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0