Free Resource Thread (updated 5/27/06)

Started by
83 comments, last by Namethatnobodyelsetook 14 years, 5 months ago
I don't normally visit Visual Arts much, so this escaped my notice before, but
HUGE List of places to get free sprite art
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
A quick note to the staff - is this forum (hence thread) likely to disappear after the close of 4e4? seem to remember thats happened before for the contests...

I only make that point as Promits list is excellent [grin] I don't need it right now, but I wanna know if I should archive my own copy or if I can just keep a link to this thread ...

I'm sure we can work something out.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I'm sure you all saw this huge list of Free Game Development Libraries too.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by Ysaneya
These are "free" resources, ok, but are we allowed to use them ?

That's the whole point. I did (quick) checks on all the links to confirm that their licenses were actually compatible with the competition. Now, that's not to say that you should immediately assume you can download and use whatever you want. A lot of these things (the engines and libraries in particular) have a lot of conditions on their use, so you need to be aware of the different restrictions that different things have. So, they are all usable, but not necessarily without strings attached.

(I added Polycount to the links.)

Ok, so for instance, on http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com they say "All of the sound files samples below are FREE Sound Effects Downloads of Good Quality .wav audio for non-commercial use only."

That isn't a problem for us, since we are unlikely to sell the game (and if we would want to, well we'd have to find new resources then). BUT, is that all it takes for the contest? i.e., do gamedev guarantee that you will not sell the game in any way?
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Quote:Original post by Srekel
i.e., do gamedev guarantee that you will not sell the game in any way?

In my run through, I basically confirmed that the resource was usable in the contest, somehow. Some of these things have restrictions which you ought to be aware of (GPLed libraries, for example).
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I am waking up lately.

For those who are searching music and who don't plan to distribute your game using a commercial license, I suggest you to dig through the Creative Commons web site.

CC are a set of licences that allow free redistribution of content. As a french guy, I recently found jamendo (warning: french site) which is a terrible resource: no less than 200 full albums that can be freely downloaded and shared.

Regards,
Promit, it's Ogre3d.org, not Ogre3d.com.
CodeTitan -- thanks for that. I fixed it some weeks (months?) ago, but I didn't see a point in posting. Now that there's another contest going on, and presumably more in the future, I see this as a possibly more permanent thread. I've made some minor edits to the topic so that it doesn't say 4E4.

Enjoy 1W1B2 and all future contests, guys.
I'd add Molebox. Its a russian small program that makes all the work of integrating packing libraries (like zip) in your program just pointless.
This is not free, but the price is really really low for all the work it saves. Totally recommended.

Also you would need Softimage XSI FTK and Kaydara FBX in order to export fromany 3D programs into your game.

Luck!
Guimo

Just doing a keep-alive, since there's a new contest going now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement