• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Promit

Free Resource Thread (updated 5/27/06)

This topic is 3397 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by Ysaneya
These are "free" resources, ok, but are we allowed to use them ?

That's the whole point. I did (quick) checks on all the links to confirm that their licenses were actually compatible with the competition. Now, that's not to say that you should immediately assume you can download and use whatever you want. A lot of these things (the engines and libraries in particular) have a lot of conditions on their use, so you need to be aware of the different restrictions that different things have. So, they are all usable, but not necessarily without strings attached.

(I added Polycount to the links.)

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Ysaneya
(ie. if you use some "free" resources without the explicit author agreeement, you will get disqualified?)

Yes. And, beyond getting permission to use the resources yourself, you also need to get permission for us (GDNet) to use them (e.g. if we want to show off your entry at GDC2006 to help promote the site). See here for a more in-depth answer.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Don't forget that Psionic has free zombie and ninja models (textured and animated) on his website.

This seriously has to be the mother of all resource threads...

Demeter looks pretty nice, but it's so old that its OpenSceneGraph component is no longer compatible and the OSG demeter example was also made too long ago to compile :|

Is there a better option? or should I just try to get them working together myself?

Ogre has a geomipmapping based terrain component; you could see if that works out better for you. Some of the other engines also have terrain, but it's generally not LoD but just your standard quadtree stuff.

A quick note to the staff - is this forum (hence thread) likely to disappear after the close of 4e4? seem to remember thats happened before for the contests...

I only make that point as Promits list is excellent [grin] I don't need it right now, but I wanna know if I should archive my own copy or if I can just keep a link to this thread ...

Cheers,
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!