• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Very bad linking/compiling problem! [ RESOLVED ]

This topic is 4638 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

I was working on my game engine like normal, and I haven't changed anything but the code itself. As I was coding it I decided to implement a system in which when the camera slides on the ground of the terrain which is defined by a .x mesh, sometimes the octree I had implemented would fail to find a trinormal. So what I did was make the camera perform a bounce type of thing to make it so it wouldn't get stuck when this happend. I recently went to compile it in release and debug mode and I noticed a huge drop in the size of the exe it went from 1.10mbs to 125kb's now this greatly alarmed me. So I tried to run it as normal as a .exe from the folder; it crashed almost instantly; but when I run it from the IDE by clicking start without debugging it runs normally. Could someone please explain what the hell is going on here. I even tried erasing the code that I had put in before just to get it to compile but that didn't even work. This is the command line for its linking (I took it from the MSVC++ IDE) :
Code Generation:
/D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_MBCS" /FD /EHsc /ML /GS /Yu
/Fp"Release/Direct3D_Release2.pch" /Fo"Release/" /Fd"Release/vc70.pdb" /W4
/nologo /c /Wp64 /Gd /TP /Og /Oi /Ot /Oy /Ob2 /Gs /GF /Gy

Linking:
/OUT:"Release/Direct3D_Release2.exe" /VERSION:1 /INCREMENTAL /NOLOGO
/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /OPT:NOWIN98 /LTCG /MACHINE:X86
/MACHINE:I386 /IGNORE:4089 kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib
comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib
odbccp32.lib








In my precompiled header I also include the following libraries:
#pragma comment(lib, "DxErr9.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "d3d9.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "d3dx9.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "dinput8.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "dxguid.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "dsound.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "winmm.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "dxguid.lib")









I am afraid I might have some how lost my entire 5 month project due to some horrible error; I have backups but they are not as up to date as I would like them to be. [sad][crying][crying][sad][crying][crying] [Edited by - DevLiquidKnight on June 8, 2005 8:31:20 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
which compiler are you using, your compiler could be customized to ignore certain errors and there is a different library for release and for debug, at least for some of the libraries so you should double check your documentation, also go to the library folder and if it has (yourlibrary)d.lib thats the debug version of the library hope this helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The debug and release exe perform the same way I mentioned; im using the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 compiler with DirectX 9.0c SDK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement