Does anyone know what those fly like bugs that swarm over grass are?

Started by
15 comments, last by dave 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi, in the mornings and afternoons, I always see these fly like bugs(sorta a cross between a small black queen ant and a fly) swarming constantly in one spot about 0 - 2.5 metres above the ground in a ball over grass constantly, not seemly doing anything productive. I'm kinda curious if anyone knows what these bugs are, and why they swarming like that doing seemingly nothing? Thanks oh btw this is in Australia, im not sure about other countries of different climates having anything like this. and the bugs are about a millimetre long and quarter of a millimetre wide. black body and clear wings, like a flies.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by johnnyBravo
and the bugs are about a millimetre long and quarter of a millimetre wide. black body and clear wings, like a flies.

You must have very good eyes if you can see such small bugs...
gnats? they're everywhere here. generally harmless, but still rather annoying.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
I've wondered about this as well.
gnats.
concurence on the gnats conclusion

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

"Gnat" doesn't narrow things down in the slightest. I think he's looking for something a bit more specific.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Speckled Tibetan Death Beetles, most likely.
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
I don't know what they are, but in all likelyhood they're mating while swarming. That's what bugs do.
I always figured they were baby mosquitos =/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement