Is Alpha in picture like bmp or in porgramm?

Started by
10 comments, last by littlewater 18 years, 10 months ago
I used software "photoshop" and I added the alpha1 chunnel to the picture ,after finished editing it, i saved it using format bmp ( And i checked save alpha option ) but when i load it into my test programm I found nothing transparent but the source pixel... maybe something error in code ? I added only the following : g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE); g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA); g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA); g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState ( D3DRS_BLENDOP , D3DBLENDOP_ADD ) ; or maybe actually the alpha in photoshop hasn't anything do with the Direct3D Alpha ?
À´×ÔÖйúµÄÇóѧÕß¡­¡­
Advertisement
Photoshop alpha is the same thing as D3D alpha. However, there may be other things making it not work in how you load or display the image. Keep looking.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I'm not sure if D3DXCreateTextureFromFile understands alpha in a BMP. Try saving as PNG or TGA, both of which D3D should like just fine.

Alpha can come from texture, or code, or a mix of both. You can tell D3D which alpha to use via SetTextureStageState(), setting the ALPHAOP, and ALPHAARGn. For example to mix vertex (or material) alpha with texture alpha you'd do this:

pDev->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_MODULATE); // multiply
pDev->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE); // texturealpha
pDev->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2, D3DTA_DIFFUSE); // by vertexalpha

I'm not sure what the default alpha states are, and whether they use texture alpha or not. If just switching to PNG doesn't help, try adding in that block and see if it fixes the problem.

The color and alpha values at the end of your texture stages (or pixel shader) can be either written directly or blended with the frame buffer. By setting the states you've mentioned, you're asking D3D to blend. You'll still want those states after adding the block I've listed.
double check the advanced file properties/summary of the bitmap - it should say the bit depth - 24 or 32

make sure its 32
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org
could i use the following ?

pd3dDevice->SetTexture( 0, m_pTexture );
pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );
pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_DIFFUSE);
pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_ADD);

pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_MODULATE); //add
pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE); //add
pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG2, D3DTA_DIFFUSE); //add

but i couldn't see anything after i added this code...
À´×ÔÖйúµÄÇóѧÕß¡­¡­
What that will do is:

color.red = vertex.red + texture.red
color.green = vertex.green + texture.green
color.blue = vertex.blue + texture.blue
color.alpha = vertex.alpha * texture.alpha

If you vertices have an alpha of 0 instead of 255 (or if you're using lighting, and material colors, the material alpha is set of 0 instead of 1.0) you'll see nothing.

To test this quickly without modifying vertices or materials just change the alphaop to d3dta_selectarg1, leaving alphaarg1 as d3dta_texture (ie: choose use texture alpha alone).
Most .bmp files that come through programs like MS paint are 24 bit bmp images. These do not include an alpha channel. It is possible to have a 32 bit bitmap with an alpha channel, but it's not usually the case. I recommend the .png format.
Quote:
To test this quickly without modifying vertices or materials just change the alphaop to d3dta_selectarg1, leaving alphaarg1 as d3dta_texture (ie: choose use texture alpha alone).

i tried your method but it still had nothing happend...

i use the function : CreateSurfaceFromFile to load the mul-texture then devide it into different m_ptexture which is a texture array

for ordinary picture i use : CreateTextureFromFile / CreateTextureFromFileEx ...

in the step of initial :
g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE);
g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA);
g_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA);

then in render step :
g_pd3dDevice->SetTexture( 0, m_pTexture );
g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );
g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_DIFFUSE);
g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_ADD);

g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1); //add
g_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE); //add

g_pd3dDevice->SetStreamSource( 0, m_pVB, sizeof(CUSTOMVERTEX) );
g_pd3dDevice->SetVertexShader( D3DFVF_CUSTOMVERTEX );
g_pd3dDevice->DrawPrimitive ( D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 0, 2 );

i ignore the light-render step , i think it shouldnt be affected this...

[Edited by - littlewater on June 9, 2005 10:55:24 PM]
À´×ÔÖйúµÄÇóѧÕß¡­¡­
I find if i change the param D3DTA_TEXTURE to D3DTA_DIFFUSE :

pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_DIFFUSE); //add

the alpha effect could be took...

but new problem also come up ...

because i use the vertex format XYZ and NORMAL (for lighting ) and i use
CreateTextruefromFileEx ( this one has the function of colorkey... ) to load the texture.
when i set the material.Diffuse.a = 1.0 for i dont wanna change some vertices, all the picture was shown ... that means the colorkey lost its effect ...

À´×ÔÖйúµÄÇóѧÕß¡­¡­
You're telling D3D to use only vertex alpha if you do that. If you use colorkey (ie: you don't set the key to 0) you'll overwrite whatever alpha is already in the image with colorkey alpha.

If you want colorkey, ensure you specify to load into a format with alpha such as A8R8G8B8, not X8R8G8B8. If your image has alpha already, don't use colorkey (pass 0). If your image doesn't have alpha, but you've got a color you'd like to be transparent, specify that color as the color key. For instance, black is 0xFF000000 (notice the full alpha required), blue is 0xFF0000FF.

SELECTARG1, DIFFUSE = use vertex/material alpha only
SELECTARG1, TEXTURE = use texture alpha only
MODULATE, DIFFUSE, TEXTURE = multiply vertex and texture alpha.

Modulate means multiply. When multiplying colors, a texture or vertex value of 255 is 1.0. If your texture had an alpha of 64, and your vertices had alpha of 255, you would blend at (64/255) * (255/255) = 1/4. If the vertices were at 128, your blend would be (64/255) * (128/255) = 1/8.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement