Sign in to follow this  
Samurai Jack

Batching balance

Samurai Jack    455
Greetings! I was wondering, if state of the art game einges still batch all visible faces into groups depending on the texture or shaders they use? I think that is bypassing all the hardware features we gain with newer graphic cards. What I am talking about is the "Programing FPS" book where you should learn to code a first person shoter. As for me almost none of the samples did work on a Pentium4 with GeForce 6800GT. But when I took a look on the code it was doing exaclty that. 1. Phase visiblity determination/culling 2. Phase visibility queries 3. Gathering all visible faces?! -- HUH please 4. Drawing that faces regarding their material ID What happens with HARDWARE SKINNING? Is it better to skip it and render just the computed meshes or what? Where is the balance? Feel free to post.

James Trotter    432
I can see what you're saying. I'm afraid I don't have the book, so I can't comment. But I think you've misunderstood what hardware skinning means. Hardware skinning is a term used to describe real-time character animation performed in hardware by the GPU, usually involving some weighted blending between bones linked to the vertices.

Samurai Jack    455
You can perform skinning either on hardware or in software. But in hardware skinning you can not split your mesh in smaller pices, that mesh has to be optimized or attribute sorted. But what happens, if you have 12 models with 5 textures and some of them are the same? Will you jump arround the body parts and render those who use the same texture at once? If so, you will have to restore all the bone matrices to the shader for each bodypart you are drawing.

Is it better to just render skinned mesh in HW sorted by attributes but mesh for mesh not material ID by material ID?

GamerSg    378
You can split the mesh(split the indices based on materials). You will still be able to do hardware skinning. Besides you cant draw 1 mesh with multiple materials(assuming different textures/shaders per material) in one draw call either.