Problems with USB joystick on FreeBSD

Started by
2 comments, last by Pete_ 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi all, I have a fairly plain install of FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE installed [EDIT: upgraded to 5.4 on advice from xor], and am having problems getting my USB joystick to work. It's a `Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick' (from the label on the bottom). It works fine on other systems. I am attempting to use it with two PLib-based games, FlightGear and TORCS. Both games and PLib are freshly installed from a recently CVSup-ed ports tree, and are the latest version according the the web-based ports browser. (plib-1.8.4, FlightGear-0.9.8, torcs-1.2.3.) The joystick is on /dev/uhid0, from `dmesg | grep Joystick': uhid0: Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Joystick, rev 1.10/a.00, addr 3, iclass 3/0 I've verified that it seems to be connected right; the output from `cat /dev/uhid0 | uuencode -' seems to correspond to the movements and button presses I make on the joystick. js_demo from FlightGear (seems to be a plib example program also) doesn't find any joysticks. However, I've verifed that the USB HID code in plib's jsBSD.cxx seems to be getting compiled. Any ideas? I've searched everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find anything. Thanks, - Pete [Edited by - Pete_ on June 10, 2005 11:26:56 AM]
Advertisement
Tried updating to 5.4?
Nope, I hadn't, but that's a good idea, although a bit scary. [wink] I'll back up and attempt it now. Wish me luck! (This will be my first upgrade, I just started using FreeBSD a few months ago.)

Thanks,
- Pete
Well, I successfully upgraded to 5.4 (from source, not reinstall), and recompiled plib, flightgear, and torcs. Unfortunatly, they still don't seem to understand my joystick. dmesg output is still the same as with 5.3. Any ideas on what else I could try? [smile]

Thanks,
- Pete

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement