Present your projects that uses AngelScript (2nd round)

Started by
19 comments, last by abrken 18 years, 8 months ago
Looks like an interesting game, Hardguy. I'll give it a try as soon as I can get the time to do so.

I'll also add it to the list as soon as possible.

I'm very pleased that games (and other products) that are using AngelScript are getting finished. It makes me feel like I'm finally getting close to become a real game developer. [grin]

The next step would be to actually make a living on this. (*hint* donate *hint*) [wink]

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
We're using it in our Current Game codenamed "Xtreeme Forces" and an undisclosed game as well. but it's still version 1.8.x, sadly the pace at which we go, we cannot work on the scripting modules anymore, hence still the old version.

we'll probably upgrade to 2.3.0 as soon as the cleanup modules begin, depending on how much forward compatible the current scripts will be.

I think you should freeze development, and try pushing the community up a bit, since it seems to be dying out. try writing some articles for gamedev and gamasutra on AngelScript and try getting someone in Rockstar to use it maybe! This way we can push AS farther than it already is, just to make sure it gets as popular as Python or LUA!
Jayanth.KRaptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.http://www.raptorentertainment.com---------------------------------------------------------Why Mr. Anderson? Why? ...Why keep fighting? Do you think you're fighting for something - for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace, could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose.
I'm already on the list but I'm taking the opportunity for a quick plug ;)

I'm currently working on the last 20% of Atomixer... the part that takes 80% of development time :) Current development is in alpha stage. The game is an action/puzzle game aimed at the casual game market. Uses SDL, ZLib and AS all wrapped in my own 'engine' code.

I'm using AS mainly to implement different game modes, configurations and level design.
tIDE Tile Map Editorhttp://tide.codeplex.com
Hi EddHead,

it's been a while since I heard from you. How is the progress going? Do you think you'll be releasing a demo soon? At least a tech-demo ala id Software?

I don't think freezing the development on the library and writing articles instead will help making it more popular. The library is still missing too many features to make it that 'perfect' scripting library it needs to be to take on Lua and Python on a large scale. I need to keep on developing and improving the library until it reaches a mature state, when I can call the library complete.

None of the really large game development studios will use AngelScript at its current state, since they cannot afford to use experimental libraries. But more and more people start using it, and it is getting more and more known around the world of scripting languages. Someday I hope that the large developers will use it as well, but that's just a dream at this moment.

What I really need is more large scale games (like yours) that use AngelScript and become successful. That should really boost its popularity. [wink]

I don't think the community is dying out. To me it seems to be growing quite steadily, with more and more people getting to know the library and using it in their project. Perhaps you think the community is dying out because part of it moved to the mailing list at Yahoo?

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Yes, you are right, but i prefer the GameDev forum to the mailing list. We do need to have some AAA game developers as users so that we really know what's left, i feel it still does have everything it needs to. but we never know. for example UnrealScript compiles to headers and integrates with the code itself. this makes it more of a control language than a scripting language. like what python has done to some games.

we have halted development of our current game due to other priorities, and i hope to get back to it soon, cos that's where i can fully utilize AS properly, not just for initiliazation.
Jayanth.KRaptor Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.http://www.raptorentertainment.com---------------------------------------------------------Why Mr. Anderson? Why? ...Why keep fighting? Do you think you're fighting for something - for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom, or truth, perhaps peace, could it be for love? Illusions Mr. Anderson, vagaries of perception. Temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence without meaning or purpose.
Eddhead - you should be able to go from 1.8 to 1.10 without any trouble, at least.

I have to agree with everyone else, WL. Getting some AAA game using AS couldn't possibly hurt. And the features that they suggest will make AS more appealing to other AAA games.
I will be a very happy man when a triple AAA game developer decides to use AngelScript in their game. [grin]

Our project uses Angelscript to control our VHDL simulations. Since it is currently an internal tool for our company, I'm not able to post any code. However, I can describe how we use it and why we chose Angelscript.

We wanted to be able to create scriptable testbenches without requiring the compilation of complicated testbenches, or a large number of testbenches (as with assertion-based testing). This allows us to create a large number of regression based simulations from a single testbench. We wanted the scripting language to be easy to learn for those involved. Most of our engineers know C, and Angelscript was the best fit (more favorable syntax than Python, Lua, TCL, etc). Also, the scripting engine must be able embeddable into a multi-threaded environment. Since in VHDL things happen concurrently, we wanted to be able to have multiple scripting engines running in parallel without complicated exclusions (as we'd have to do w/ Perl or Python), or stomping on each other (very difficult in Lua). The language must be extensbile. We needed to be able to perform actions in HDL-land from the script. We are using SystemC to model the testbench controller, and coupled with the multiple contexts, we Angelscript provided the easiest and cleanest callback to C++ member functions (messy and painful in Lua).

In the end, Angelscript was an excellent fit. Our users are quite happy, and find it very easy to use. For example, one of our sim scripts look like:

void main()
{
uint readval;

// Do a PCI read from address 0xffff0000
readval = tcon.read(PCI_REQ, 0xffff0000);

// Invert all the bits (a ~ operator would be nice...)
readval = readval ^ 0xffffffff;

// Write back the inverted value
tcon.write(PCI_REQ, 0xffff0000, readval);

// Read it back and verify it is correct
if ( tcon.read(PCI_REQ, 0xffff0000) != readval )
tcon.log("Error: PCI read/modify/write failure!");
}

This is just a tiny example, but shows how we use it (the tcon class is our testbench interface).

We love Angelscript!
Quote:Angelscript provided the easiest and cleanest callback to C++ member functions

I think this is the perfect argument against the changes made going from 1.10 to 2.x.
Suudy:

This sounds like an excellent way to use AngelScript. :)

Does it work well in a multithreaded environment? I haven't worked too much on making it thread safe, just a few minor things that were necessary. You did compile the library with USE_THREADS, didn't you?

Deyja:

Maybe I could add rudimentary support for pointers, as an option for those projects that need more low-level access. It would obviously be something that was turned off by default. My main priority is to make a safe scripting library, but I recognize the need for true pointers in some projects.

(Do not respond to this in this thread, start another one if you wish to discuss this!)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement