Sign in to follow this  
derek7

material and drawcall

derek7    100
I see the ogre take renderablelist according to material for rendering. when issue a draw call,in adding to material and there are many renderstate to set.(transform). so grouging ojbect according to material will not reduce drawcall. so I think it will reduce set renderstate. so my question is : how much will reducing renderstate setting contribute to performance (like reduce draw call do)?why ogre use renderlist for rendering?

Dave Hunt    4872
Generally, the most expensive state changes are textures and materials. So limiting those will give you the most benefit. Changing transforms is probably one of the least expensive state changes.

Reducing draw calls is, obviously, a good idea. Since you have to have a new draw call for each state change, limiting state changes can also reduce the number of draw calls required.

The benefits of any optimization techniques depend on what you are trying to do. In the end, it's often a balancing act. You may find that the only way to get the performance you need is by reducing polygon counts. You may decide to trade some performance for reduced code complexity. If your game runs smoothly and looks good, the user isn't going to care whether he's getting 60fps or 75fps.