TINQ DX

Started by
2 comments, last by PnP Bios 18 years, 10 months ago
Well, I've been working in SDL for quite some time now and have finally decided to get off my lazy butt and see what I can do with it. I decided to start a semi-simplistic 2D graphics engine. I have quite mixed feelings as to the syntax and design methodologies that I should adhere to here, so I'm taking suggestions. Just what kind of syntax are people out there looking for ? Do you want to fill out a pixel descriptor format like it D3D like so...

TDXScreen screen;
TDXScreenFormat format;

format.Hardware = true;
format.Height = 480;
format.Width = 640;
format.BPP = 32;

screen.SetVideoMode(&format);

Or are you looking for something more simplistic as in SDL already...

if (NULL == (pScreen = SDL_SetVideoMode (format->Width, format->Height, format->BPP, flags)))
	{
		error.error = TDXSetVideoModeError;
		error.message = SDL_GetError();
	}

Hopefully I can get some ideas, I have many, many of my own, but I want to know what the community is looking for. I lack the creativity to make a game myself, so I want to know what other people need in their games.
Advertisement
Is this going to be an open source thing? I dont think it matters what you need to do to adhere to our syntax standards, you do what you understand. I just started writing, and if i needed to throw in a capital for syntax, i do. It's not really up to everyone else. If you are doing open source, just comment the crap out of it. :)

As for design, what specifically are you going for? What kind of game will this engine power? How far of a reach do you want the engine to have? Input? Sound? All this is a factor. Also, how big do you want suggestions? Like class layouts, or just interaction, or just the little details?

If you are looking for suggestions, i would suggest against doing an engine. Everyone and there dog does an engine. Make a game, not an engine. Start with that in mind, not that you are making a game after you finish your engine.

Good luck!
gib.son
I guess I misspoke[sp] about what I meant. I meant the interface to the engine. What is preferred, I can write just about anything, but I'm wondering what people prefer. It will be open source, I just can't decide what license yet. GPL or BSD most likely. But I guess I mean, what would people prefer, the more C-like SDL based functionally or an engine where you build a scene and the engine blits it the way it needs to. Am I making sense ? I guess take a look at HGE and compare that to standard SDL, thats the differences I'm trying to decide between. Oh btw, TINQ DX stands for....

TINQ DX
Is
Not
Quite
Direct
X
Quote:Original post by neodingo
I guess I misspoke[sp] about what I meant. I meant the interface to the engine. What is preferred, I can write just about anything, but I'm wondering what people prefer. It will be open source, I just can't decide what license yet. GPL or BSD most likely. But I guess I mean, what would people prefer, the more C-like SDL based functionally or an engine where you build a scene and the engine blits it the way it needs to. Am I making sense ? I guess take a look at HGE and compare that to standard SDL, thats the differences I'm trying to decide between. Oh btw, TINQ DX stands for....

TINQ DX
Is
Not
Quite
Direct
X

You already have the recursive acronym, so i suggest you go for the GPL license.
[GNU = GNU is not Unix.]
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement