I want to learn 3Dfx OpenGL

Started by
9 comments, last by V-man 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have read the stiky about OpenGL programming and my awnser was not there. Is there any way I can still program OpenGL apps for my 3Dfx Voodoo 3 GPU? Yeah, i know that Voodoo is obsolete but I still love that card and I wouldn't trade it for an nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 512mb! Is there anyway I can get ahold of the required files to compile 3Dfx OpenGL programs? Thanks alot.
Advertisement
You would need Voodoo drivers that support OpenGl. These can be obtained here. Beyond that, you should already have the libraries and headers for OpenGL with your compiler.
I think with 3DFx OpenGL the TS means Glide, 3DFx' own API? If so, you could have a look at this site http://www.falconfly.de/reference.htm or google a bit for "3DFx glide api".
Yeah. I thought about Glide, but decided to assume he meant what he said.

By the way, what does 'TS' stand for? I've seen OP (original poster), but I haven't seen TS used.
Quote:Original post by Dave Hunt
By the way, what does 'TS' stand for? I've seen OP (original poster), but I haven't seen TS used.

Topic Starter, I was actually searching my mind for OP but TS is all that came up ;)

Quote:Original post by Seraphim
Topic Starter, I was actually searching my mind for OP but TS is all that came up ;)

That makes sense. Maybe you've just coined a new abbreviation :)
Quote:Original post by Seraphim
I think with 3DFx OpenGL the TS means Glide, 3DFx' own API? If so, you could have a look at this site http://www.falconfly.de/reference.htm or google a bit for "3DFx glide api".

OMG, this is... 3Dfx heaven!!! Thanks everyone. I was sure that there was a version of OpenGL that was specificly for 3Dfx cards (for instance, Quake II has more than one OpenGL driver. There is a default OpenGL, a 3Dfx OpenGL, and I think there was one more). So do I initialise OpenGL and then initialise Glide?
Quote:Original post by blueshogun96Yeah, i know that Voodoo is obsolete but I still love that card

Yeah I have fond memories of the good 'ol voodoo cards too. I remember playing the original quake in software mode at 320x200- ugh, ugly.. Later on I got a Voodoo1 card and the glQuake mod and it was totally amazing- nothing like the game I had played before. Those were the days eh?

Quote:Original post by blueshogun96I wouldn't trade it for an nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 512mb

I don't know about that one though! [smile]
Quote:Original post by blueshogun96
So do I initialise OpenGL and then initialise Glide?

If you actually want to do "OpenGL Programming", then you only need to initialize OpenGL. If you want to do "Glide Programming", then you should only need to initialize Glide. The Glide API will take care of initializing whatever it needs under the hood.
Quote:Original post by blueshogun96
(for instance, Quake II has more than one OpenGL driver. There is a default OpenGL, a 3Dfx OpenGL, and I think there was one more). So do I initialise OpenGL and then initialise Glide?

IIRC, the different Q2 OpenGL 'drivers' were just different code paths specifically for different cards. Each would still use regular OpenGL, but usually restricted to a specfic subset that the card would do well/properly/fast. Current games usually auto-detect this via the GL extension string.

Also, if you're using Glide thats all you'll be using, no GL at all. Totally different API.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement