Sign in to follow this  
ukdeveloper

Completed Pong clone - please test

ukdeveloper    264
Hi, I'm happy to say that the epic disaster of my Pong clone has finally reached completion. It's now available for download in its finished form. I'd like it if some of you could please download it, try it, and offer some feedback please? I've only included the executables and data, no source code I'm afraid - it would have just bloated the ZIP size even further. You can get the game from here - sorry, it's currently Windows only. The README.txt file tells you everything you need to know. The required DLL's are also there should you need them. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. Look forward to hearing from you, ukdeveloper.

CSharp_Padawan    180
Sorry, but I couldn't run it. It wanted a "smpeg.dll".

The Readme.txt explains the dlls, but smpeg.dll is not in your zip file.
It'll probably work fine if you just zip in the dll. [smile]

Let us know if you update it.

[Edited by - CSharp_Padawan on June 9, 2005 1:31:54 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
_http://www.fortunecity.com/uproar/cosmo/669/DllPack.zip

thanks to the person hosting this. it has al lthe DLL's you need for the pong demo.

ok, you asked for it. im just helping you (although it might seem like im ripping your program to bits, im NOT).

1. if you press a key on the menu, its stored thus we miss the menu (the default option gets chosen).

2. the ball goes too far down

3. the enemy bat is not smooth

4. its easy to beat (hit the ball on your bat's top - scores every time).

just to get you started. iron those out, post it again and we'll try and keep helping you ;)

EnemyBoss    223
I wouldn't worry too much about the bugs (there's quite a number) in this game. Is this your first game? Pong is the first step in game programming, but not one I would care to do perfectly. I think you now know enough about C programming and SDL to work on your next game. I encourage you to try making Breakout as its a natural etension of Pong, and a lot more fun 1-player game IMO. I'm starting game development myself, and thats what I did. Good job.

nilkn    960
Not bad [smile]

Some things to do:

- The AI is somewhat twitchy. This is really easy to fix if you think about it. Even though the goal of computer programming is to emulate real world solutions with tricks and deceptions, this is a case where you should think about how a human would act. How do you decide to move your paddle up or down?

You probably look at where the ball is, look at where the ball is headed, and anticipate where the ball will be when it reaches your paddle. Incorporated into this anticipation are any wall collisions which are immediately predictable.

I believe I gave some pseudocode demonstrating this technique in a previous thread.

- The graphics are dull and boring. You need to spice them up with bitmapped images, and add in a nice background image.

- There's some bad sound lag. This may not be your fault -- more likely it's the sound library your using. In that case, don't worry about it. But if you can, it'd be nice to get rid of it. [smile]

- You used the common trick to vary the ball's direction of travel by modifying it's trajectory based on where it hits the paddle, i.e. the farther the point of collisions is from the center of the paddle, the more off-track the ball will go.

I personally do not like this method. It produces noticeably unrealistic results, which is bad. The goal of computer programming is to produce realistic results with unrealistic methods.

My suggestion is to do away with that and simply reflect the movement vector as normal. Then, to add the needed variance in the ball's travel, place obstacles such as a block bouncing up and down in the arena that the ball can collide with.

This provides explanation for the variance in trajectory, and gives the player more to look at.

Other than those things, it's looking very nice! I know you've spent a lot of time on this, and have had numerous troubles getting in this state. Anyway, good luck with your future endeavors of game programming!

TheRealMAN11    142
So... I use linux... and I notice you are using SDL, and sdl works on windows and linux, so this probably would run on linux as well... if you posted the source. Which brings me to my second question. Where is the source? Licence this piece under the GPL and release the source. Then people can give you pointers on where you went wrong and where you went right. I had lots of fun doing my first pong clone too, although mine had no AI, just 2 player mode. But I am glad you are starting small. Keep pressing forward.

On a side note, a few weeks ago I decided to see how fast I could write another pong clone, to see how my skills have improved. It went quite well, and actually I think I might go back again and rewrite it in C++ just to see how much better C++ is than C :)...

Jnz86    228
Hi,
well, as your first game it's ok, sure it has lots of problems, but as somebody said, it's your first, so enjoy! Dont worry you will get better after a couple more games :)