3D Max 6 .x exporter

Started by
5 comments, last by GeekPlusPlus 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I'm using Max6 with DirectX 9.0c. I've got panda installed, and using that my biped can't seem to move the mesh. It was suggested to me that panda exporter might be the problem. I downloaded and setup (As per the instructions) The Quest3D .x exporter. It works fine when I export a cube or a cylinder mesh. However, when I try to export my animated biped and mesh model I get this error: "Couldn't get physique vertex export interface!" I do have the DirectX exporter plugin setup, but that's in the Max7 directory, so I assume it's for Max7, I'm using Max6. However I have read that Quest3D works fine up to Max6... how do you guys who use it get it to work? - GeekPlusPlus
- Newb Programmer: Geek++
Advertisement
Theres three distinct things that could be the problem I myself personally use the panda exporter. Sometimes it fails to export the mesh correctly based on the settings you put on the exporter; sometimes the mesh itself has an error that the panda exporter dislikes; and sometimes it just flat out doesn't work.

Try messing with the export options; this generallly helps sometimes. Try making a simple mesh say a square and figuring out the right type of exporting options to use as well; its really trial and error.
- GDKnight
You're saying you're using the Max7 exporter with Max6? Quest has a specific exporter plugin designed for Max 6.
You can find it on this page :)
Quote:
Theres three distinct things that could be the problem I myself personally use the panda exporter. Sometimes it fails to export the mesh correctly based on the settings you put on the exporter; sometimes the mesh itself has an error that the panda exporter dislikes; and sometimes it just flat out doesn't work.

Try messing with the export options; this generallly helps sometimes. Try making a simple mesh say a square and figuring out the right type of exporting options to use as well; its really trial and error.

Panda sucks. I have exported simple meshes just fine with panda. I can even export my mesh skin, and I can export my animated biped. But the vertex links to the biped don't get exported. I've swear I've tried every possible combination of options in the exporter, and there's only a billion options in Max, so who knows! A little documentation would be nice.

Jiia,

I'm not using Quest3d for Max7, I'm using Quest3D for Max6. But, the DirectX SDK file "DxExtensionsMax.gup" which the exporter says you need, is in the Max7 directory, and I assume is therefore to be used with Max7.

- GeekPlusPlus
I know you're using 3D Studio Max 6, but are you using version 6 of the Quest plugin? I doubt version 7 of the plugin will work with Max 6. There are no different versions (or version numbers) of the plugin, other than one for each release of Max.

They may have changed something since I last downloaded, but there was originally only one file in the download. XSkinExp.dle. You just copy that file to your Max\plugins directory. As far as I know, there are no other files that are needed. You may have to enable the plugin in Max options. I can't remember.
Quote:Original post by GeekPlusPlus

I'm not using Quest3d for Max7, I'm using Quest3D for Max6. But, the DirectX SDK file "DxExtensionsMax.gup" which the exporter says you need, is in the Max7 directory, and I assume is therefore to be used with Max7.

- GeekPlusPlus

The DirectX SDK automatically modifies your 3dsmax plugins.ini to add the SDK Max7 gup to the plugins search path. You shouldn't have to do anything to enable it.

I unfortunately don't have Max7 installed on this machine right now, but (IIRC) you should just have to install the DirectX SDK, load a mesh, export, select DirectX X-Files and you'll get a file.

Paul
Quote:
I unfortunately don't have Max7 installed on this machine right now, but (IIRC) you should just have to install the DirectX SDK, load a mesh, export, select DirectX X-Files and you'll get a file.

Ha! I wish it were that easy.

When I try to use the "DirectX X-Files" exporter it just crashes max.

I assume Quest3D uses part(s) of the "DirectX X-Files" exporter since in the instructions for Quest3D exporter it says to setup DX exporter plugin. Which is why I think my Quest3D exporter doesn't work because the DirectX exporter is for Max7 not Max6.

But we're a little off track, the problem is:

"Couldn't get physique vertex export interface!"

Where is the physique vertex exporter interface? And why do you think it can't find it?

- GeekPlusPlus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement