Sign in to follow this  
GuruMatt

new environment WIP

okay here are some screen shots of my new environment. Only spent a day on it so far so there isn't much there at the moment. Gonna do a few more rooms etc. The idea is to have a central room that will have corridoors and other rooms leading off from it. This is on of those corridoors. Most FPS games tend to have a lot of corridoors, so I'm trying to make sexy ones. The windows aren't finished yet. There will be mteal pannels that cover them and open up. The environmant is supposed to look like it's carved out of a mountain. I like the fact that there is no roof and that as you look up you realise the room is built into the rock. It'll look better textured. I've added a few normal maps so you can see how it'll look when finished a little better. Crit is welcome.

You've got a good foundation going in there, but now it's time to flesh the details out. Try and give your environment a purpose. Give it life. Figure out what it's there for and how it should be operating. Try and convey that information through physical structures: pipelines, routers, cables, panels, reinforcements, lights, junctions, etc.

See those pipes? Pipes wouldn't cleanly stick through pillars like that - create a thick socket around them when they hit a surface. Vary up the wire lengths on the walls - some can be tight, others can be loose.

The doorway could use some heavy work - look at all of that flat space around it! You created a nice area to fill in with some imaginative details. Don't settle for a cardboard cutout in a wall.

Line the floors with some subtle wiring or thin bridges/cuts along the edges. They'll give the hall a greater impression of distance and lead the eye toward each end.

How about some rafters above? It's looking a bit empty up there. You don't need an elaborate catwalk - perhaps just a basic metal lighting rig suspended from the ceiling. Otherwise, fill the above area with some dense fog and ambient lighting to create a sense of scale and mystery.

Create bevels. Make dents. Scattered artifacts. Remnants.

thanks for the tips. Most of it I had planned already. Rafters are gonna be put in place, there will be some grate over some of the pipe, so they'll be under the floor. I see what you're saying abou how the pipes wouldn't fit perfectly good point. Same witht he door areas I totally agree they're very plain at the moment, but that'll change when the doors are in place, there will be some decal around them. The wires are there to power the shutters that'll cover the windows. I'm going to have some wires hanging from the rafters for effect. I might put in some cctv cameras or something to liven the corners up. I might have some of the brick work destroyed so you can see the moutain behind the bricks, but that wont get done until I get round to texturing the environment. I think the pipes are looking a little bland at the moment, might chage the size of them so it looks like pipes are connected together and bolted up sort of thing. Only a days work so there's still a lot to do.

okay here is a quick update. I haven't had much time to work on this the past few days. I'm not hppy witht he project and I just want to get it finished now so I can start on something different. Not happy witht he texture work I think it really lets it down. But I'm not that hot at texturing. If any texture artists wanna do a project with me or something PM or e-mail me.

The ligting wont look anything like these update pics.