Older Newbies

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi all I am just wondering if there are any 35+ newbie game programmers out there, or is there just me? It would be nice to see how others in this age range find game programming, and programming in general. Thanks
Better to try and fail than to fail by not trying.
Advertisement
Hi there:)

31 here:) Old enough?

I am working on my Second game at the moment:)

My first was a Pong like thing and now i am doing something with isometric tiles.
Worst thing is when i crash the computer due to a bug and cant figure out where in the code it is since the code for that tiny game is getting bigger and bigger:)

The body doesn't matter if the mind is young. [smile]
Quote:
The body doesn't matter if the mind is young.

Please tell that to my body... :)
Marriage is the #1 cause of divorce
Thanks all,

I forgot to mention that I am 39 years old. I wrote a console based Rogue clone, but have since long lost that code. I was most recently coding a Lunar Lander clone, only to somehow, delete my progress from a CDRW. I guess I need the space on the disc more than the code I wrote!

Currently I am trying to write a Choplifter clone game using SDL. I have tried DarkBasic and BlitzBasic, which I am looking at now. I have been thinking that these two languages may be best suited?

SDL is pretty neat and is quick to learn. I have tinkered with OpenGL,but don't have a strong enough C++ background to really delve into it, same story with DX.

Geez, I think that is enough info!

Thanks
Better to try and fail than to fail by not trying.
I'm not quite 30 (only 27) so I'm not in the 35+ crowd. Your post caught my attention though. I feel that most Beginners are in thier teens and people my age are way ahead on the power curve. Heck, sometimes I get the feeling that the teens are leaps and bounds ahead as well.

I'm a fairly decent c/c++ programmer (from college) and I'm dabbling into c# a bit right now. I really want to start game programming and I've played around in the shallow end of the pool a bit but I've never actually completed a project to date. I've bought more books than you can shake a stick at and maybe I just need to sit down and work through my books, page by page.

My reason for posting is to ask how you got where you are now? I'm passionate about games and programming, it's something I absolutely love doing and I feel like I just need a push in the right direction.

Right now this is a hobby for me and I know that to get where I want to, it is going to take a lot of hard work and then some. I have no problem working hard, it's just that I feel like I'm walking around in a pitch black room, occasionally bumping into things every now and then and desparately trying to make sense out of what I found...

There is so much information out there and if you ask 2 different people how to accomplish xyz, most likely you will get 2 different answers. I'm struggling here. Like I said, I love games and I love to program. Game programming just feels "right". I need to do this...

OK, this got a little longer than intended and maybe a little too deep as well. Can someone turn on the lights for me?
Welcome to gamedev! There are many people here ranging in ages. Age doesn't matter as long as you have the will to learn. Hope to see your posts around here and keep us updated on your game.
skatin_hard do you skate or skateboard?
35 myself...working on my fist game. I am bit different from the regular programming crowd: I graduated last year with my BS in CS. I've always like games, so I thought it would be fun to try one. Fun stuff so far!
36 here, but still feel 19 (sometimes;).

Not too sure about us "oldies" being leaps ahead on the learning curve. Have been developing in C for over 10 years and have a degree in comp science but alot of the "young uns" on here have a real depth of knowledge when in comes to languages (C++ in my case) and computer science type topics, probably coz in the "real" world developers don't need to remeber/use alot of the theory from university so I don't remember alot of "stuff", but everyones very helpful and, hopefully, not ageist.

Have done a console based tetris clone. Have been working on a game engine/small SDK (SDL based) for the last 3/4 months, these things seem to have a way of getting rather big from something that started very small:)

Trouble is I'm in a testing phase and I'm losing a bit of motivation, I just want to get on and start my pong clone so I can start writing my games...maybe I should have used a pre-written engine, but it has been a very good experience.

Maybe Gamedev should open a geriatric forum for the older generation where we can talk about hair loss, wrinkles and how this mordern music is just "noise", in my day...etc etc, grumble grumble!!
Gary.Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement