typeof() operator

Started by
13 comments, last by snk_kid 18 years, 10 months ago
Guru programmers out there: Is there anything potentially wrong with the following code?

// Returns A Unique Integer for every Type
template <typename T>
inline Int64 typeof (const T& rT)
{
    static T data;
    return reinterpret_cast <Int64>((void*)&data);
}

Usage as follows:

// These examples arn't very sensible, but they show how it could be used

template <typename T1, typename T2>
    bool isSameType (const T1& rT1, const T2& rT2)
    {
        return (typeof (rT1) == typeof (rT2));
    }

class Any
    {
    public:
        template <typename T>
        Any (const T& rT)
        {
        }

template <typename T>
        T cast ()
        {
            assert (type_ = typeof (T()));
            return reinterpret_cast <T>(pData_);
        }

private:
        void* pData_;
        Int64 type_; 
    }

Advertisement
Maybe you mean to use typeid()? (as opposed to typeof()?)

But don't quote me on that.
Things change.
Looks a little hacky to me.

Using the address of some static variable as the type identifier for a type. This is most certainly not valid outside of a single run of the process, meaning if you write that stuff out to file it's probably gonna be useless when reading back in.

Is this meant to be like home made RTTI ?
Quote:Original post by DrEvil
Looks a little hacky to me.

Using the address of some static variable as the type identifier for a type. This is most certainly not valid outside of a single run of the process, meaning if you write that stuff out to file it's probably gonna be useless when reading back in.

Is this meant to be like home made RTTI ?

I suppose it is alittle like home made RTTI, just with very little overhead. I haven't thought of a problem that coundln't be solved in a more elegant way, but still it seems like a useful little function.

Using an offset I could fix the problem with process locality:

struct type_offset { static int offset; };// Returns A Unique Integer for every Typetemplate <typename T>inline Int64 typeof (const T& rT){    static T data;    return  reinterpret_cast <Int64>(&type_offset::offset) -             reinterpret_cast <Int64>((void*)&data);}

What do you think?
Quote:Original post by Nuget5555
I suppose it is alittle like home made RTTI, just with very little overhead.

typeid is a constant time operation, the result of typeid (a constant reference to std::type_info) can be even obtained at compile-time. All types be it built-in or user-defined have an associated type_info where needed.

What do you think?

For type identification, honestly i think you're wasting time unless portable string names are important to you then std::type_info is not portable in this case, if its not it might be better to build off of it instead if its to primitive for you.
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
I suppose it is alittle like home made RTTI, just with very little overhead.

typeid is a constant time operation, the result of typeid (a constant reference to std::type_info) can be even obtained at compile-time. All types be it built-in or user-defined have an associated type_info where needed.

What do you think?

For type identification, honestly i think you're wasting time unless portable string names are important to you then std::type_info is not portable in this case, if its not it might be better to build off of it instead if its to primitive for you.

I did not realize how convenient typeid () is. Thanks for the heads up.
Yea looks like you're implementing your own version of what the typeid operator does, without the .name() option. It still doesn't replace dynamic_cast, as it has no concept of parent classes for down casting pointers and such.
someone should try using this to give boost::any an operator==, something i would love to have.
It looks like the ability to store the type of a variable has been purposefully removed from typeid (). Why?

Quote:Original post by mgarriss
someone should try using this to give boost::any an operator==, something i would love to have.

That was part of the original idea.
Quote:Original post by mgarriss

You can simply do that yourself if really want to:

#include <boost/any.hpp>#include <boost/any.hpp>#include <typeinfo>bool operator==(const boost::any& lhs, const boost::any& rhs) {	return lhs.type() == rhs.type();}bool operator==(const boost::any& lhs, const std::type_info& rhs) {	return lhs.type() == rhs;}bool operator==(const std::type_info& lhs, const boost::any& rhs) {	return rhs == lhs;}

unless i'm missing something, boost::any::type returns a constant reference to std::type_info so its obviously using typeid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement