3D RTS game alpha version 0.0.04. You should see this!!!

Started by
12 comments, last by Pr3t3nd3r_007 18 years, 9 months ago
Long time ago i have posted an site for my game. Some people found'it funny. It was weak. But i recived some good advices. Now i want to present you the new site and the first public alpha version. I'm hopping for some constructive feed back. Any help is realy appreciated, don't hesitate. Right now we have no funding and i'm looking for some. Tell me what do you think about the chances of obtaining it. In my opinion is a pretty nice job. If i cand get some funding with that, then all the articles, discussions are just entertainment. And we just lose time with dreams ... Site: http://evolutionvault.net Enjoy [Edited by - Pr3t3nd3r_007 on July 12, 2005 11:37:02 AM]
Advertisement
Pretender,

I was very impressed with the screenshots of your game. I haven't been able to try your alpha release, but judging from the screenshots, you've got something that's far more developed than most amateur game makers ever get to.

I'm a website designer and Internet marketer, so I'll give you some tips regarding your website.

1. I'd make a graphical header for Galaxy Dream that you could display at the top of each page. Right now it seems like you have a lot of open, black space at the top.

2. You need to learn to use some header tags - < h1 > and < h2 > are the most important. Make them larger than your normal text, and a uniform color across your whole site (All yellow, or all electric blue).

3. It seems that you need to learn a little more about cascading style sheets (CSS). Use the style sheet to create different font effects, for example, instead of using font tags. I'm glad that you at least have a style sheet!

4. You're from Romania, and so I'm pretty sure English is not your first language. You've done an amazing job, considering this fact. I think that, in order to land some funding, you are going to need to clean up some of your English. If you have a spell checker, run your text through it before your turn it into HTML. Or take what you have and run it through a spell checker and then put it back on your web pages. I'd consider hiring a translator, or at least building some friendships with English speakers so that someone can give your site an editorial review.

5. You may want to reduce the number of different categories in your forum until you have enough posts to make it look like an active forum. Right now, it feels kind of empty... And some of the categories could be combined. For example, you have about 4 different areas for posting suggestions. Maybe just one prominent area would be good enough for now. You can sort through the posts manually until you have enough people using the forum to justify splitting it into different categories.

6. I couldn't quite make out what your favicon was at first. I might get rid of the planet and the black background and use one of your cool spaceships with a transparent background.

7. For your main navigation, I would creat a category called "Project" or something like that. It would contain the project's news, timelines, contact info, funding goals, etc. Then create a category called "Game World" or something like that to contain explanations of all the races, game play, etc. Anyway, the categories seem a little mixed or muddled.

Overall, a very good effort. I hope you find your funding!

The site is impressive, i still didn't try the game, but by the ss's looks impressive aswell.
I'de remove the counter from the initial page though, looks amateur-ish.
I tried the game and I must say that it is very professionally done. I could have easily mistaken it for a store-bought game, maybe something equally, if not over, another RTS game such as "StarTrek Armada".

When I exited, my customized cursor froze and my Window's cursor appeared - the customized one as well as the entire game stayed frozen. I switched out of the process to my desktop and the game was still running according to my task window.

I got about 30-40 fps. I am currently running a 733Mhz Celeron, 1024MB SDRAM, and a Geforce4 MXse.

Very nice work on the game and website - I hope to try it again when you are done.
The screenshots are wonderful, and once I get more time, I will try the game.

A suggestion on the website...The first page with substance is the "introduction", but it is 4 paragraphs of regular text. You might want to highlight the important points, or make them a header, because a lot of people do not want to read such a long text to get information.

Plus, emphasizing terms like "space combat strategy" or "real-time tactics" will let you highlight the good points of the game and let the visitor know them right away.

If the game plays as well as it looks, this is very promising!

Wau. How much you write. Thx.
I have an graphical header. I'l put it in. CSS ... true. I have begin to use an spell checker, but some times i don't get'it.
Example:
for starships i get:
star ships
starship s
star-ships... is wrong starships ?
nebulas ... idem ..
I can't hire some one to make the translation because it's have to be an native speker of english and i'm realy not capable of paying him.
But i'm sure i will find someone to help me with that. Any 13 year kid who native speaks english can do a very good job.

The forum. You are riht, but i hobe i will get more people on it soon.
The icon i will speak with my graphician. I tkink that was my ideia too.
The categories. Exactly. But i wasn't the primary designer of them. And that was
what i said too: they are little mixed or muddled.
I will change that.

Thx very much for the advices. Any help is welcome.
Quote:Original post by Xiachunyi
I tried the game and I must say that it is very professionally done. I could have easily mistaken it for a store-bought game, maybe something equally, if not over, another RTS game such as "StarTrek Armada".

When I exited, my customized cursor froze and my Window's cursor appeared - the customized one as well as the entire game stayed frozen. I switched out of the process to my desktop and the game was still running according to my task window.

I got about 30-40 fps. I am currently running a 733Mhz Celeron, 1024MB SDRAM, and a Geforce4 MXse.

Very nice work on the game and website - I hope to try it again when you are done.

He he. Nice.

Is doing that every time you exit? I have to admit the exit stuff is not one of the prorities and there are lots of think to do there.
FPS ... the fps is limited at 30-40 if you want to see the maximum fps go to options , gameplay and set it to max. I get more than 80.
k. I will try to do sometkink like that. But i don't know how professional will look.
I've done somthink like this on the news rubric.

Quote:Original post by Pr3t3nd3r_007
He he. Nice.

Is doing that every time you exit? I have to admit the exit stuff is not one of the prorities and there are lots of think to do there.
FPS ... the fps is limited at 30-40 if you want to see the maximum fps go to options , gameplay and set it to max. I get more than 80.

Yes, It is doing that everytime I exit. My computer is old so that may be the problem. Near the end of next week, I will be recieving my new laptop for college, Asus z71v :D, and I will test the game on that.

Thanks for the tip on changing the fps, I usually get about that anyway since the processor and graphics card is a little on the old side.
New version released. Many new gameplay improvements. Network avaible. (at least 1 vs 1 is working fine ...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement