UDP Clients

Started by
11 comments, last by markr 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi guys, I'm writing a UDP network library (for learning purposes) and I would like to know what the best way of storing unique connected clients is. At the moment, I'm just using the SOCKADDR from when the client first starts sending packets. Does that suffice? Thanks, MeshMan
Advertisement
Yes, a sockaddr should be fine. More specifically, a struct sockaddr_in

Even more specifically, you can also ignore the sa_family member, because it will always be the same.

You should of course always check on an incoming packet, that it's either the start of a new session, or it's coming from an IP address (well, sockaddr_in anyway) that you recognise as part of an existing session.

There are also heaps of other checks you need to do to ensure that packets are not being spoofed and/or are arriving in the appropriate order.

Lots of weird things can happen, including packets arriving in the wrong state because of network congestion.

Mark
My network library is almost up to speed with ENet (apart from the voice stuff which I'm gonna add soon with the help of FMod :)) but what I'm findins is that I keep repeatedly getting a WSAECONNRESET error code from the recvfrom() on my listening server socket and according to MSDN, I don't know what it means by ICMP Port Unreachable. How should I react to this error?
It only happens when a client quits the server and the server doesnt know he has disconnected, and then he connects from the same machine..
Look for these links about WSAECONNRESET
gamedev thread
MSDN

Here is some source that I used to fix the problem.
void Socket::DisableConnResetError(){	DWORD NewBehaviour;	OSVERSIONINFOEX Info;	// get information about os	WinUtilities::GetOSInfo(&Info);	// platform is win9x or winnt?	if(Info.dwMajorVersion <= 4)	{		return;	}	// platform is win2k with service pack <= 1 installed?	if(Info.dwMajorVersion == 5 && Info.dwMinorVersion == 0 && Info.wServicePackMajor <= 1)	{		return;	}	// platform is either win2k with service pack >= 2 or winxp, so discard WSAECONNRESET errors	NewBehaviour = 0;		if(ioctlsocket(m_Socket, _WSAIOW(IOC_VENDOR, 12), &NewBehaviour) == SOCKET_ERROR)	{		throw Exception(true, "unable to set SIO_UDP_CONNRESET socket option");	}}
Great. Thanks very much.
I was not aware that Windows actually reported UDP errors in this way, I thought it just dropped them.

Anyway, it's not clear to me how to determine the address of the host which generated the ECONNREFUSED on a UDP socket. Perhaps it fills in the from and fromlen pointers when you call recvfrom() even in this error condition. Presumably it must, otherwise it would be useless on a socket used to service multiple clients. Some research is obviously required to find this out.

If you are not interested, presumably it's safe to ignore the ECONNREFUSED and just call recvfrom again until you get a packet of data.

Mark
I've been in the endless loop error. Gonna need to do some testing to see what best fits.
Quote:Original post by markr
You should of course always check on an incoming packet, that it's either the start of a new session, or it's coming from an IP address (well, sockaddr_in anyway) that you recognise as part of an existing session.

Ok. I've reacted to the WSAECONNRESET error by getting the SOCKADDR_IN from the recvfrom() and comparing it to already connected players then booting that client off. All works.
If by "booting the client off", you mean, just deleteing their entry from the connected clients table (after doing any local cleanup), yes fine.

I can't see any use for sending any more packets to a client after it's got a CONNREFUSED error.

Mark
Yes. Not sending anymore packets to that client, just deleting their entry from my connected list.

What I still don't understand is that if I'm not sending any packets to that socket (or am I?), how come I repeatedly keep getting the WSAECONNRESET error on the socket.

Am I right in thinking that if I try and send a packet to an invalid address, it SOMEHOW?? comes back as a WSAECONNRESET error on my listening socket?

Meshy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement