Started by
9 comments, last by Genjix 18 years, 10 months ago

a = b;
if(a > 0)
   z = a;
a = c;
if(a > 0)
   z = a;

unfortunately analysing compiler output g++ doesn't seem to optimize that. so I tried

a = b;
if(a > 0)
{
   z = a;
}
else
{
   a = c;

if(a > 0)
      z = a;
}

(nesting), but it sacrifices code readability which is a demon. any other suggestions on making something like this look nicer? while avoiding the unnecessary second a calculation when the first expression is true? I was thinking of using recursive functions... clever but not very clear.
Advertisement
Did you compile with the optimization flags turned on? I don't know much about compilers, but something as simple as this really ought to be easily caught. In any case, this is another example of needless micro optimization.

EDIT: Read doho's post. I am assuming that the two do in fact do the same thing. I thought about it for a bit then gave up :P

EDIT2: Actually, just read what JohnBolton wrote. Micro-optimization is a waste of time though. [smile]

[Edited by - load_bitmap_file on June 9, 2005 5:49:33 PM]
If you need to optimize at this level you should probably be writing this in assembly instead.
Your hand-optimized version is not the same as the original.

My "optimization" would look like this:
    if ( b > 0 )    {        z = b;    }    else if ( c > 0 )    {        z = c;    }    a = c; 
But, I just let the compiler worry about it. I can't think of why it wouldn't.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
int foo(int a, int b, int c){    int z;    a = b;    if(a > 0)        z = a;    a = c;    if(a > 0)        z = a;    return z;}

C:\Temp>cl -c -Oxsy -arch:SSE2 -Fa a.cppMicrosoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for 80x86

push	ebp	mov	ebp, esp	cmp	DWORD PTR _b$[ebp], 0	mov	eax, DWORD PTR _b$[ebp]	cmovle	eax, DWORD PTR _z$[ebp]	cmp	DWORD PTR _c$[ebp], 0	cmovg	eax, DWORD PTR _c$[ebp]	pop	ebp	ret	0

Looks pretty optimimal to me. You could improve it for this particular example by doing frame-pointer omission which is supposed to be included with -Oy. I don't know why MSVC isn't doing that.

Optiming for time rather than size changes the assembly to use branches rather than cmov's. I don't know enough about the nitty-gritty to know which is better. It would probably depend a lot on the contents of the cache at the time.
-Mike
z = (c>0) ? c : (b>0) ? b : z;
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Quote:Original post by JohnBolton
Your hand-optimized version is not the same as the original.

My "optimization" would look like this:
if ( b > 0 )
{
z = b;
}
else if ( c > 0 )
{
z = c;
}
a = c; But, I just let the compiler worry about it. I can't think of why it wouldn't.

If you're going for the original, I think you mean:
if (c > 0) { z = c; }
else if (b > 0) { z = b; }
a = c;
The second is about as good as it gets for what it does.

MKH has a good thing going if you want to emphasize the assignment more and don't need to modify a.
the thing is I forgot to say that the second if should only be evaluated when the first if is false.
a = b;if(a > 0)   z = a;a = c;if(a > 0)   z = a;

unfortunately analysing compiler output g++ doesn't seem to optimize that. so I tried
a = b;if(a > 0){   z = a;}else{   a = c;      if(a > 0)      z = a;}

This this function is called quite regularly it seemed like such a waste to be checking the second if statement.

Also b and c are gross over simplifications and are in fact complex expressions.

But yeah Magmai Kai Holmlor is the best I think if it's indented. But thanks all for your help. ++
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If you're going for the original, I think you mean:
if (c > 0) { z = c; }
else if (b > 0) { z = b; }
a = c;

Oops! Another great example of why optimization should be left to the compiler! Optimizing code is a source of bugs.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by Genjix
the thing is I forgot to say that the second if should only be evaluated when the first if is false.

Hence the "else if" in the suggestions.

Quote:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

You do realize that these do different things, right? Let's consider z's value:
if c > 0
then in the first z == c
but in the second z == c if b <= 0 otherwise z == b
if c <= 0
then if b > 0 z == b in both, otherwise z is unchanged in both.

Now, let's consider a's value:
in the first, a == c no matter what.
in the second, if b <= 0 then a == b, otherwise a == c.

Also, g++ won't optimize the first form because it doesn't have the information you have. In particular, it has no way of knowing the second test will fail if the first succeeds (or that the body of the second will produce the same result as the body of the first, or whatever).

Quote:
This this function is called quite regularly it seemed like such a waste to be checking the second if statement.

Ya know, K&R were bright fellows. They saw this problem arising, and put in a keyword just to solve it. "else" ;)

By the way... "seemed like such a waste"? You did profile this before optimizing, right?

Quote:
Also b and c are gross over simplifications and are in fact complex expressions.

But yeah Magmai Kai Holmlor is the best I think if it's indented. But thanks all for your help. ++

Actually, if b and c are more complicated, I'd highly recommend against MKH's solution. It'll get ugly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement