How many push-ups can you do?

Started by
77 comments, last by sakky 18 years, 10 months ago
I installed a steel bar in the door frame of my bathroom so I can do pull-ups. I can do 10 if I do them properly. The steel bar cost only $4, and it took about 10 minutes to cut it with my jigsaw (with a metal blade), plus an additional 20 minutes to drill the holes and glue the bar in place. Its very solid glue, and I added a metal brace, so no risk it will ever fall off.

I know pushups and pull-ups don't exactly serve the same purpose, but I find pushups rather uncomfortable... So this is the ideal exercise for me.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Max_Payne
I installed a steel bar in the door frame of my bathroom so I can do pull-ups. I can do 10 if I do them properly. The steel bar cost only $4, and it took about 10 minutes to cut it with my jigsaw (with a metal blade), plus an additional 20 minutes to drill the holes and glue the bar in place. Its very solid glue, and I added a metal brace, so no risk it will ever fall off.

<images omitted>

I know pushups and pull-ups don't exactly serve the same purpose, but I find pushups rather uncomfortable... So this is the ideal exercise for me.

I don't like those bars between doors, they don't allow a wide grip pull up which is best for targetting the lats (which is what you should be targetting when doing pull ups). If you do wide grip pull ups you will work the lats best (its the best exercise for them) and your biceps will work too, biceps and lats also work on dumbbell which you should be doing for back thickness.

Also, why do you have an underhand rather than overhand grip? Just wondering.
Quote:Also, why do you have an underhand rather than overhand grip? Just wondering.

Because I can do both. Is there a particular reason to choose one over the other?

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
I do one-handed pushups everyday so my work out consists of 12 sets of 32, or 384 on each hand; the workout does not actually stress my muscles since I've done them for so long, over two years, that I have gotten used to them.

The most reps I've done on one hand is 75 since my hand will start becoming numb after awhile and I don't want to damage anything due to the fact I play the piano.

My pullups are limited to about 17 since I do not normally do them - I have to go outside, the sun hurts.

I wish there was a way for me to demostrate to everyone how many I could since words are just talk.
Quote:Also, why do you have an underhand rather than overhand grip? Just wondering.

Because I can do both. Is there a particular reason to choose one over the other?

Maybe it's just me but I prefer overhand, it seems to put less stress on the bicep and more stress on the back, and back is my main priority.

I just do some swimming training. Generally much better for you, gets you fitter and a more toned body. Doesn't generally give you large biceps, but your shoulders and triceps can get rather large.

Given proper balanced sessions of course.

You people saying you do so many sets of so many press ups, you guys do warm up/down right?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
I can do 20 full (all the way down) chin ups with my palms facing outwards and 147 punches in 3 minutes.
Quote:Original post by sakky
I can't wait until I get those 18" guns. The ladies are going to love me. And I'll love them to...well for atleast 5 minutes.

Sigh... the correlation between gun size and lady affection is quite small and easily outweighed by other factors.

I weigh like 400 and i can do 3 sets of 50 easy..... btw its fat not muscle O_o.

I believe the underhand grip targets your biceps more than the overhand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement