Sign in to follow this  
darenking

C++, trying to supply default values to a string of chars in a function header

Hello! I'm writing a class called Test that stores messages and prints them to the screen. I store the messages like this: char* m_Input[30]; Is that called an array of pointers to characters? Well, whatever it is called, it works fine, and when I use them I assign them like this: m_Input[i]="Hello there!"; This all works perfectly well, but I need an efficient way of supplying the 30 messages with default values ("empty"). At the moment I use a loop: for (int i=0 ; i<30 ; i++) { m_Input[i]="empty"; } I would rather supply default values in the constructor as surely it is neater that way? I tried this as my constructor prototype: Test(char* input="empty"); or Test(char* input[30]="empty"); then this as my constructor: Test::Test(char* input): m_Input[10](input) { } But it doesn't work and my head hurts. Actually they don't have to contain the literal "empty", they could just be empty: I just don't want them printing garbage on the screen! Thanks for any help! Joe

Keep a count in the Test class so that you know how many messages that currently are stored. Or just initialize each pointer to NULL and check so that a message is not null whenever they are beeing used.

It seems that you cannot use default argument with arrays. Your example Test(char* input="empty") is legal syntax but you would still need a loop to initialize each element in the array. The correct syntax for initializing an array is: char *array[3] = {"string1", "string2", "string3"}

And by the way, that is a array of pointers to characters just as you thought.