Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  


This topic is 4932 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi! I am relativvly new at C++, although I understand OOP coming from other languages (Macromedia ActionScript and PHP). I downloaded the program NeHeGL_oop.zip and tried to adapt it to an MVC paradigm. Although I simplified the code because it is using some C++ coding features that I do not yet fully understand, I was able to have a working program... until I made a simple change! Noe the program fail on an Access Violation in the module STRLEN.ASM (according to Visual Studio v6) while creating this class instance: /************************************************** * * Window definition * **************************************************/ WinBase::WinBase (WinClass * winClass) : m_hWnd (NULL), m_pClass (winClass), m_Exstyle (NULL), // extended window style m_pTitle (NULL), // pointer to window name m_style (NULL), // window style m_x (CW_USEDEFAULT), // horizontal position of window m_y (CW_USEDEFAULT), // vertical position of window m_width (CW_USEDEFAULT), // window width m_height (CW_USEDEFAULT), // window height m_hWndParent (HWND_DESKTOP), // handle to parent or owner window m_hMenu (NULL) // handle to menu, or child-window identifier { m_pDebug = new WinDebug ("GL_Windows", MY_DEBUG); m_pDebug->Toggle (); // Activate Debug display return; } I put the whole program on http://rene.dalle.ca/projects/GLapplication.rar ready to be re-compiled with Visual Studio. There is a break defined just at the entry to the class constructor (in GL_Windows.cpp) and if I hit the F10 key, I immediately get the exception ("First-chance exception in GLapplication.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation.") with the debugger pointing into the STRLEN.ASM module! If anyone can tell me what I did wrong, I'll be in their debt for ever! Cheers.... RD OK! I found my mistake: m_pTitle (NULL) should have been m_pTitle ("") since I changed the definition from char * to std::string! Now it work fine again! [Edited by - LeLorrain on June 10, 2005 8:50:06 PM]

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!