What next?

Started by
12 comments, last by dx elliot 18 years, 10 months ago
Variables: Done! Functions: Done! Pointers: Done! Class: Done! Inheritance: Done! Polymorphism:Done! Templetes: Done! Containers: Done! I/O: Done! .... WHATS NEXT??
Advertisement
Actually understanding good architecture and knowing when to avoid using certain language facilities?

And really I think you're overestimating exactly how done you are...
If you didn't write Moder C++ Design and mentored Herb through Guru of the week and have a solid understanding on how the voodoo that is boost is implemented I wouldn't call myself done with the last 6points...

[edit]: Actually I wouldn't call myself done even if in the unlikely case that all above held true.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Boost Implentation: Done!
Linux Kernal Implentation: Done!
Solved Einstiens Riddle with C++ in less then 20 iterations: Done!
Guru of the Year: Still working on it :'(
Functors? (std::mem_fun, etc)
Metaprogramming? (Boost.MPL, etc)
Multithreading? (locks, critical sections, etc)
Design Patterns? (Visitor, Factory, etc)
Lambdas? (Not directly supported by C++, which I assume you're using by your "Templates: Done!" comment, you could take a look at C++ Boost.Lambda library though)
Library APIS? (WinSock, OpenGL, etc)
Multiple languages? (Smalltalk, XSL, etc)

It depends on what you want to learn, what you want to do, etc. - it's also very important to put to use and PRACTICE by writing stuff, which in turn can help you uncover what you want to learn (when you realize you don't know how to do X Y or Z)

Personally, for awhile I was hung up on trying to plan out how to bypass the O(N*N) internal bandwidth scaling for a theoretical MMO, by figuring out complicated load balancing mechanisms comparing the number of dependancies an object has on a given network... etc etc etc... then I realized multicasting could solve the problem by making the scaling O(N), so I've been researching that (and the existance of multicast-aware switches which do seem to exist and do what I want). Right now I'm working on creating an example framework (named "rootbeer") which uses multicasting, for use in a theoretical beowulf cluster :-).
You seem to always know less than you thought you knew when it comes time to write a real program.
Functors: Done!
Metaprogramming: Done!
Multithreading: Very Little!
Design Patterns: Very Little!
Multiple languages: VB Done!, Java Done! ASM(Intel) Almost Done!, cobel fortran....... etc.

The thing is i dont know what i want to do and what to code anymore :'( the last coding fun i had was that einstien thing try to solve it as fast as possible. Only reason i did it was because i saw a guy's code and it solved it in about 2 days then i saw another guy do it in a few hours, so i had to top it and do it in a few minutes O_o. I wanted to do the whole Game thing.. but i dont know where to really go for it. I started reading up on OpenGL and Direct3D but not sure which to choose. Was looking for a good book / ebook on Sock programing which i found one but they pretty much made it uninteresting with all its "exceptions" main towards windows platforms. Any suggestions on programing projects, btw i have done programing for some years but i'm beat when it comes to figureing out what to do next i need somone to guide me here and there. I need more info more information :-p
*bump*
Quote:Original post by kam1su2
I wanted to do the whole Game thing.. but i dont know where to really go for it. I started reading up on OpenGL and Direct3D but not sure which to choose.

My 2 cents: OpenGL. It's simpler and cross platform. http://nehe.gamedev.net/ is a good source for OpenGL tutorials, IMHO.

Quote:Was looking for a good book / ebook on Sock programing which i found one but they pretty much made it uninteresting with all its "exceptions" main towards windows platforms.

I self taught from the interweb and manpages (ip, tcp, udp, socket, bind, and connect). Winsock2 has the same functions, the main difference is the headers and you need to call WSAStartup/WSACleanup. You could also probably check the MSDN for information/examples.

Quote:Any suggestions on programing projects, btw i have done programing for some years but i'm beat when it comes to figureing out what to do next i need somone to guide me here and there. I need more info more information :-p

I have the opposite problem, i have too many ideas for what to do next :(.

EDIT:
*bump*

0_O. This isn't a chatroom, it might take more than 6 minutes for someone to reply to your post. Just an FYI.
you *bump* in chatrooms....
Anyway thats besides the point. I might give nehe** another try. I also have a copy of the redbook.. Still want to start some nice coding project. someone suggestions...
Functors: Done!
Metaprogramming: Done!
Multithreading: Very Little!
Design Patterns: Very Little!
Multiple languages: VB Done!, Java Done! ASM(Intel) Almost Done!, cobel fortran....... etc.

The thing is i dont know what i want to do and what to code anymore :'( the last coding fun i had was that einstien thing try to solve it as fast as possible. Only reason i did it was because i saw a guy's code and it solved it in about 2 days then i saw another guy do it in a few hours, so i had to top it and do it in a few minutes O_o. I wanted to do the whole Game thing.. but i dont know where to really go for it. I started reading up on OpenGL and Direct3D but not sure which to choose. Was looking for a good book / ebook on Sock programing which i found one but they pretty much made it uninteresting with all its "exceptions" main towards windows platforms. Any suggestions on programing projects, btw i have done programing for some years but i'm beat when it comes to figureing out what to do next i need somone to guide me here and there. I need more info more information :-p

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/design/features/makegames/

You can't stay in the completely general realm of standard C++ forever if you want to make games. Don't like platform specific windows code? Use SDL/OpenGL. Don't mind it, but don't require it? Use anything. But you have to choose some library.

Biggest difference between OpenGL and Direct3D: OpenGL is cross platform, Direct3D is just Microsoft. In reality, Windows is the gaming platform for PC's, so Direct3D isn't as limiting as it sounds. My suggestion? Flip a coin and start coding.

And, really, don't discount what the above link says. That's good information.

If you just want a short term goal to get you on the road to game development (but you have to start the long term goal of creating a game, or something, sooner or later or all your programming knowledge is wasted) I'd suggest the nehe OpenGL tutorials: http://nehe.gamedev.net/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement