Dialog Box Size in different resolutions

Started by
3 comments, last by Unwise owl 18 years, 10 months ago
Hello, one of my current projects utilizes a large amount of dialog boxes. Out of interest, I decided to see how my program would look like under a larger resolution; needless to say, my dialog box and its controls are very small. Is there some way to retain the size that the dialog box is in, when created, on the end-user's computer as compared to when it was developed? Thank you.
Advertisement
well i would guess you could make some sort of abstract size for the dialogs then
write something to translate accoring to the current resloution, does that make sense?

by the way, you talking about windows dialogs right?
the mountains quake, and a little mouse pops out
What kind of graphics API are you using? If you're using something which does not abstract 3D hardware scaling graphics is quite easy. If you're using a conventional 2D API that becomes more difficult however. You can of course calculate the size of those boxes relative to the screen size of course, but usually resized blit functions in 2D APIs tend to be effective (unless they utilize 3D hardware for that).

EDIT: If you mean M$ Windows dialog boxes, like the previous poster said, I guess you'd have to resize them during runtime with API calls if you refer to a dialog box loaded from a resource template. I have never tried to automate something like that though; I guess child control would have to be stepped through and resized accordingly though.
Sorry, I had a moment in which I thought everything was under Window's API. You are correct, I am utilizing the Window's Dialog Box. I normally code in 800x600, yes this is my default screen size, and I changed to 1024x768.

From taking a look at dialog boxes in programs such as Photoshop, Finale, and Dev-C++, it seems that "all" programs do not resize their dialog boxes at all. I guess it just seems wierd to me due to the fact that the static text and controls become miniature.

If one were to read information and carry out various functions within a dialog box, would it be of benefit to go through the trouble of resizing or just go with the others and let it be? Although, all the applications' I have can resize their work area to suit the size.

Thank you.
Quote:Original post by Xiachunyi
Sorry, I had a moment in which I thought everything was under Window's API. You are correct, I am utilizing the Window's Dialog Box. I normally code in 800x600, yes this is my default screen size, and I changed to 1024x768.

From taking a look at dialog boxes in programs such as Photoshop, Finale, and Dev-C++, it seems that "all" programs do not resize their dialog boxes at all. I guess it just seems wierd to me due to the fact that the static text and controls become miniature.

If one were to read information and carry out various functions within a dialog box, would it be of benefit to go through the trouble of resizing or just go with the others and let it be? Although, all the applications' I have can resize their work area to suit the size.

Thank you.

It seems the standard is to leave dialog boxes and such the same absolute size in pixels, and only resize the work area like you said. I think you can leave it like that without users complaining; they have come to expect that kind of behaviour from Windows-style applications.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement