larning more than just the basics

Started by
4 comments, last by Wampus 18 years, 10 months ago
I have been working with DX for a little while now and know a few things. whare do I go to learn more advanced topics. Like creating special effects and what all of these different terms mean like mipmap, pixel shadders and all of this stuff. Are there any reccomended books or free tutorials out there?
These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
Advertisement
If you want more advanced stuff then you should go to the developer NVIDIA and ATI websites.

NVIDIA
ATI

they have papers, tutorials, free applications, example shaders, and ATI even has videos from GDC presentations(!!!)
Believe it or not, the DirectX SDK documentation has a bunch of useful information in it. Make sure you check out the reference section. I'm sure there are more useful articles, but that would be a good start.

While I'm at it, I'll explain mip maps. Mips are just scaled down versions of a texture. Every scale it downsizes is one power of 2. Or you can say the size deminsions are halved. 256x256 to 128x128, etc, all the way down to 1x1. This way, the graphics card can choose which scale of the texture to use depending on how big that texture will be rendered on the screen. It's much faster to draw a 2x2 texture miles away than it is to render the 256x256 version you loaded. Since it shows up on screen in less than a 2x2 area. Makes sense? A full mip map chain will jack memory up to 130%. It's usually well worth it.
Hi there,

real cool effects are usually made with pixel- or vertex shaders. To dive into that complex theme I recommend you the following book: Microsoft DirectX 9 Programmable Graphics Pipeline (Microsoft Press).

Here's the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735616531/qid=1118427438/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-2791328-9628066?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I also recommend this one: Learn Vertex & Pixel Shader Programming with DirectX 9
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556222874/qid=1118427438/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl14/002-2791328-9628066?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Well, in fact shader programming is a realy complex theme BUT the results are worth it to dive into it.
For developing shaders I also recommend you ATI Rendermonkey. This programm has also a lot of cool shaders you can use by yourself. Try it ... it's free! ROFL

hope I could help you

greetz
codex
The SDK documentation itself isn't a bad thing to use. You can also look at the code from the samples that come with the SDK. While it's not as easy as getting everything told to you in a book, for the most advanced topics it's the only way, so you might as well try it now.
Depending on what you want, you can usually find more advanced topics in books. I might recommend the ShaderX series by Wolfgang Engel (Editor).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement