wasting time, but getting paid for it, so it's okay

Started by
14 comments, last by Raduprv 18 years, 10 months ago
so, the big boss man decrees that he wants a new feature in the application. One of my supervisors explains it to me and asks me to implement it. She explains that he wants a list of links to news and weather websites on the main page of the application. I'm at first confused (what's wrong with IE's Favorites list?), but go along because I like to code and I'm getting paid for it. So, three days later I've learned quite a bit of ASP.Net, I've relearned SQL, I've examined hundreds of lines of code from the program to see just how to integrate this feature into the system. I set out using TDD, writing over 160 test for two little classes, just to make sure it doesn't bomb. After two solid days of coding, I have a little box that sits on the main page that holds links to sites like CNN.com and weather.com, and even includes an integrated link management system. It's a pretty slick little widget, if I do say so myself. My supervisor was elated, she thought it was perfect. The big boss man was confused, "What's wrong with IE's Favorites list"? Apparently he wanted the headlines FROM those sites, displayed on the main page. He wants us to hook into the sites RSS feeds. Thank you, Ms. supervisor, your requirements specification was just spectacular. Now I have unusable code, Big Boss doesn't want a stupid favorites list. Atleast I learned how to integrate new features into the system. I'm going to make a freaking Tic Tac Toe unit, just for the hell of it.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
this sounds like a more suitable entry for your journal :P
Well it did give you some practice and I'm sure you still got paid for doing it. Just make sure to double check the requirements next time before you start any new task. If they give you a great deal of hassle over it just explain to them that you would do work just fine if you had the right directions.
Quote:Original post by SKATIN_HARD
Well it did give you some practice and I'm sure you still got paid for doing it. Just make sure to double check the requirements next time before you start any new task. If they give you a great deal of hassle over it just explain to them that you would do work just fine if you had the right directions.

nah, they aren't giving me any flack over it. Apparently Big Boss didn't recall the term "RSS Feed" when relating his idea to my supervisor , so when I said, "oh, you want us to hook into the RSS feed", he piped up "yeah, that's it".

Anyway, I really need to stop posting from work... ah, screw it. I'm not doing anything else today, I should just leave.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Thank you, Ms. supervisor, your requirements specification was just spectacular. Now I have unusable code, Big Boss doesn't want a stupid favorites list.

I beg of you, let this be a lesson to you. If it looks to good to be true, it may be that you're boss is the same as Dilbert's, but give them the benefit of being intelligent and check it out first!

I won't go into specifics, but at this very moment my life is a living hell because I did not.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Quote:Original post by Wavinator
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Thank you, Ms. supervisor, your requirements specification was just spectacular. Now I have unusable code, Big Boss doesn't want a stupid favorites list.

I beg of you, let this be a lesson to you. If it looks to good to be true, it may be that you're boss is the same as Dilbert's, but give them the benefit of being intelligent and check it out first!

I won't go into specifics, but at this very moment my life is a living hell because I did not.

It's difficult to do this, because often times I do not receive the task assignments until 2 or 3 days after I have to begin coding. If person A tells person B "We need to put news and weather on our site" and a day later person B tells me "make a favorites list that defaults to have CNN and Weather.com," I'm dealing with a nasty, time consuming version of the telephone game, without any way to contact person A.

So, how much do you make?
I had EXACTLY the same thing happen when I was doing a custom database for a hospital. I finish and turn it in to the project manager, she thinks it's great and shows it off to everyone, calls me and says half of it has to change because the specs were all wrong. By then end of it I had to turn a rather flat database into a relational database with about 10-15 tables.
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
So, how much do you make?

$15/hr for the first 3 months.

Nice.
I make only 8 USD from my job, plus whatever we make from EL (right now it finally started to work better, from a financial point of view).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement