Sign in to follow this  
wasted_druid

VT100 terminal in windows

I'm very frightened right now. About a year back (or so) I was looking at making a MUD and found VT100 escape codes were perfect for doing color. When I was playing around with them, I could have sworn I was running my programs in XP with the command prompt, and it understood the VT100 and colorized my text. I've just gone back and tried it again, and it flat-out doesn't work. Does anyone know anything about this? Am I just imagining that it was XP or what? Frustrated. Scared I'm going insane. [grin]

There are two MSDOS prompts in windows: cmd is 32-bit and supports long filenames (and probably some other stuff), command is 16-bit. You might be using a different one than last time, so I'd try switching to the other one if it doesn't work on the one you're trying.

Thanks. Tried it, but that wasn't it. I guess my memory is off and what I'm remembering is from one of the extremely rare and isolated times when I had Linux installed on my PC. *sigh* It was too cool to hope for.

Are you sure your weren't using HyperTerminal? It supports ANSI, ANSIW, Minitel, TTY, Viewdata, VT100, VT100J and VT52 terminal emulation. It's available on XP. Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications->HyperTerminal.

I'd give that a shot and see if you have better luck.

-Halo7

You used to be able to say "device=ansi.sys" in your device configuration file to get color support in DOS boxes. That's back in the good-old days, though; that's probably not supported on NT kernels.

Personally, I use putty for all my remote terminal needs.