VT100 terminal in windows

Started by
5 comments, last by hplus0603 18 years, 10 months ago
I'm very frightened right now. About a year back (or so) I was looking at making a MUD and found VT100 escape codes were perfect for doing color. When I was playing around with them, I could have sworn I was running my programs in XP with the command prompt, and it understood the VT100 and colorized my text. I've just gone back and tried it again, and it flat-out doesn't work. Does anyone know anything about this? Am I just imagining that it was XP or what? Frustrated. Scared I'm going insane. [grin]
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
Advertisement
There are two MSDOS prompts in windows: cmd is 32-bit and supports long filenames (and probably some other stuff), command is 16-bit. You might be using a different one than last time, so I'd try switching to the other one if it doesn't work on the one you're trying.
Thanks. Tried it, but that wasn't it. I guess my memory is off and what I'm remembering is from one of the extremely rare and isolated times when I had Linux installed on my PC. *sigh* It was too cool to hope for.
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
Maybe you were using the Windows Terminal Client (I think that's the name) Windows HyperTerminal instead of the MSDOS prompt?

[Edited by - bytecoder on June 10, 2005 5:34:33 PM]
I know some versions of the Windows telnet client support color codes. However, off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you what versions, or what escape code standard(s) is/are supported.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Are you sure your weren't using HyperTerminal? It supports ANSI, ANSIW, Minitel, TTY, Viewdata, VT100, VT100J and VT52 terminal emulation. It's available on XP. Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications->HyperTerminal.

I'd give that a shot and see if you have better luck.

-Halo7
You used to be able to say "device=ansi.sys" in your device configuration file to get color support in DOS boxes. That's back in the good-old days, though; that's probably not supported on NT kernels.

Personally, I use putty for all my remote terminal needs.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement