Surface Reconstruction

Started by
4 comments, last by Illco 18 years, 10 months ago
I thought you guys might be interested in helping me gain some insight on this research problem I'm doing at a university: We have an unstructured set of points - sometimes in the hundreds of thousands - acquired from a laser scanner that represent some geometry. We have no knowledge of geometry or orientation. Furthermore, there might be noise - erroneous points that don't belong to the geometry. The goal is to reconstruct the surfaces, essentially, so that we can get some normals and light the points, and thus when the points are displayed it won't simply look like a giant blob of pixels. I've found a few graduate papers, and I can make sense of some of the research. When Delaunay Triangulation and Voronoi Diagrams are tossed in, I sort of stare blankly, but a few of the papers don't require them. I was just wondering if any of you guys had any insights into this problem. Cheers, --Brian
Advertisement
Voronoi diagrams and Delaunay tesselations are not difficult at all, once you understand the underlying theory. And if you want to do surface reconstruction, they're practically essential. Read about them.
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=383266&coll=portal&dl=ACM&CFID=16748337&CFTOKEN=13499938

Reconstruction/representation with Radial Basis Functions. Pulled off of one of my class webpages; I haven't done any work in the area, though.
I was considering changing my level editor to work in voxels. I still may do this, and if I do, here's the algorithm I'll use :

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~jwarren/papers/dmc.pdf

Search on "crust" (Nina Amenta) and "cocone" (Tamal Dey) for surface reconstruction for unordered points.
Surface reconstruction is a hot topic these days in scientific computer graphics. Last year I did a pre-MSc research project on radial basis functions for surface reconstruction; I could send you my paper if you like. One of the problems of RBF is that there is no guarantee about the surface topology with respect to the input set; also the curvature of the volume of points is minimized instead of the curvature along the surface. But a lot of material is available. Check out www.siteceer.com for one; it has a lot of articles. One interesting author is Greg Turk, who has written multiple papers. Also Hugues Hoppe has done some interesting work. Good luck, and feel free to ask for more/more specific information.

Greetz,

Illco

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement