Sign in to follow this  
SoulFire02

Linker Error using Direct Input

Recently I have started to learn the basics of DirectX, most recently DirectInput. Problem is, when I create the main DirectInput object, I get a linker error as follows: dxguid.lib(dxguid.obj) : fatal error LNK1103: debugging information corrupt; recompile module I have included the appropriate library files (dxguid.lib dinput8.lib d3d9.lib) as well as the appropriate headers (<windows.h> <dinput.h>) I have no problems when running/initializing D3D, this has only come up with DI. (When I take my DI initiate code out, the program builds and executes fine) I am using Visual C++ 6.0 w/ SP 6 and the June Release of DX9SDK. Any suggestions would be appreciated, been stumped with this for quite some time now...

Quote:
Original post by SoulFire02
I am using Visual C++ 6.0 w/ SP 6 and the June Release of DX9SDK.

Visual C++ 6.0 has not been a supported development IDE for the last four releases of the SDK [smile]

You might well be running into a basic compatability issue, the error would certainly seem to follow that your compiler isn't capable of understanding/interpretting the debug information attached to the binary you're linking.

iirc, Summer 2004 was the last with "normal" support, and it appeared as part of the extras in October-2004, but for Dec-04, Feb-05, Apr-05, Jun-05 it's been unsupported.

I would suggest you roll back to an older SDK, or if possible, do yourself a favour and get a more recent compiler. VC++6 is around 8 years old now - that's a very long time in the world of IT [grin]

hth
Jack

Download VCToolkit 2003 and install it. It's a free, updated compiler (just the bare bones basics, no IDE). Then, in your Visual Studio, set all your lib/include/bin directories to point to the ones where you installed the toolkit. That's how I got it working on mine, and no need to shell out $$ for something that ought to be free anyway.