Opinions on Quality of Life (like the EA SPOUSE Article)

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 10 months ago
I want to know your opinions on the Quality Of Life in the Industry . (programmers, testers, designers, artist) and What about the main differences between let's say, between a business programmer (C++/C#, web, database) and a Game programmer ? (directx, opengl, c++) on the works hours, salary, benefits, careers, time with the kids ? Thanks a lot Ea spouse : http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/274.html?thread=1095954#t1095954
Advertisement
That depends on the companies involved of course.

Even in the business world, there's some vast differences in all of the above. Even within the same company, different developers at different sites will be worked differently.

Game companies tend to be smaller. Small companies of any sort tend to have less structured benefits, less resources to throw at problems [meaning more work if things don't go to plan], and generally more risk.

Game companies also attract many applicants. Anywhere there's a great supply compared to demand, the cost to aquire [compensation] will decrease.

But those are all tends and trends. There's been plenty of commentary about that article that will provide a greater range of insight than even here.
I recently left a company where I was making 35000-45000 and workin 1/4 to 1/3 of the year overtime (min 60 hour weeks), it sucked, especially when they missed payroll.

Now I'm at a place where I make almost double and work 4 or 5 extra hours a month just before a big milestone and a couple of weeks of 9 or 10 hour days around alpha and beta. I have excellent benefits and a sweet work environment. The company competly takes care of us going so far as to take the whole company on overseas trips every once in a while.

Both of these jobs were/are in the game industry, so it totally depends where you work. There are a lot of companies out there that screw there employees but there are some that seriously rock.

I have almost 2 years experiance in the game industry. I could comfortably work were I am now for the rest of my career and be happy. At my previous job I dreaded work and was starting to second guess my decision to do games.
To the last poster, could you please tell us what company you used to work for, and which one you work for now?

Thanks.
I cant really say on a public board because by naming either company I would expose the other and possibly burn some bridges that I would rather not burn. If you want more information I would be willing to let you know through an email or something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement