• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Python and PyGame

This topic is 4640 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay so I'm looking at tutorials for Python and I learn about PyGame. What exactly is PyGame? I'm not exactly learned on all the jargon for programming, but my guess is that it's a Game Library. If I can figure out what PyGame is then maybe I'll know exactly what a Game Library is hehe. But yes, what is PyGame and should I download and use that as opposed to the IDLE GUI, I was taking the tutorials and found myself skipping a fair amount since it's quite similar to Basic.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Woodlander
Okay so I'm looking at tutorials for Python and I learn about PyGame.

What exactly is PyGame? I'm not exactly learned on all the jargon for programming, but my guess is that it's a Game Library. If I can figure out what PyGame is then maybe I'll know exactly what a Game Library is hehe.

But yes, what is PyGame and should I download and use that as opposed to the IDLE GUI, I was taking the tutorials and found myself skipping a fair amount since it's quite similar to Basic.

Yes, pygame is a game programming library for python. You can use both Idle and pygame. Idle is just like a notepad application to write python programs. It has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to use pygame.

So if I were a beginning Game Developer, which I obviously am hehe, then I'd download and learn to use PyGame? Or would I learn to use Python first? Though I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to programming.

You can do both. Follow their chimp line-by-line example to start. Make sure you understand what each line is doing. That will get you off to a good start.

You need to learn python first. Pygame is basically just a game library including things like drawing graphics, receiving input, playing sounds, and doing other game-related stuff. If you don't know python, pygame won't help anything; however, you could probably get away with learning them both at the same time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement