Sign in to follow this  
SelethD

what is a chat window?

Im programming in windows, and am trying to make a chat type program, over the internet. So what exactly is the little boxes that make up a chat window. There is the top box that displays the messages and the bottom part that you type in. I am guessing the bottom part is a Edit Box? But what is the top, and how do you get it to scroll, or do i have to manually add a scroll bar? im programming in VC++ under windows thanks

Display - Rich Edit control.
Input - Single Line Edit Box.

The rich Edit scrolled each time you add text, you send a scrolldown message to the control. I have a function to output strings toa rich edit, I'll look it up if you need it, PM me.

Quote:
Original post by Pelikaruga
Quote:
Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Display - Rich Edit control.
Input - Single Line Edit Box.
I would not like a single line text box as a input field...
[lol]They are single lined in most software that I have used (excluding instant messengers). It's a moot point however, since it's handled the same regardless, when it's time to send, you grab the text, send it, and clear the control.

[lol]You do realise that from the title of this thread people are going to assume that you've never heard of a chat window before, right?[lol]

Just use a couple of textboxes, or richedit if you must. Set the display one to readonly. Both should be set to multi-line, but I would make the entry one smaller. Just copy Messenger.

I think I would need more than one line on the text in box. Thanks so much for the help, you i know at least what type of box to start experimenting with.

And as for the topic of this post? I didnt see it that way until after I posted then read it myself, I was like duh what a stupid question :P

Thanks again