Sign in to follow this  
steelmtn98

Graphics program

steelmtn98    138
Hi all, Can someone please recommend a graphics program for drawing sprites for my 2D games? My requirements are 1) not a ton of money, 2) not a huge learing curve, 3) png support and 4) not a ton of money. My experience with graphics programs is the fact that I can usually spell 'graphics programs' without too many mistakes. btw, I am woking on a pac-man game. Sure, I can probably find the sprites online somewhere, but at some point I will need to draw my own. This would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance!

Will F    1069
These might not be suitable for your purposes - but they are free and good:
The GIMP maybe not the best for drawing sprites, but it's powerful and can handle png

Blender 3D modeler, which i've used to make 2D sprites. It does have a really steep learning curve though.

ImagemagickWon't help you draw sprites, but will convert many graphical formats to png (as well as much more)

Telastyn    3777
I've used the Gimp [link above] in the past for 2d sprites. I have quite limited artistic talent, so can't comment about how good it is. It's moderately easy to use if you've ever dealt with photoshop even briefly. It's free, and the exported png's loaded easily into D3D with D3DX helper functions. Pretty much everything I was looking for to make temporary icons for things.