Coming out of retirement

Started by
6 comments, last by jbadams 18 years, 10 months ago
I am starting to get into game coding again now that my job is settled down. I have Jim Adams role playing book and Lamothe's tricks. I polished off my tetris clone, and to get back into things I am going to finish a breakout clone(it is about 60% done) Anyway I am trying to budget my books purchases because I am an avid reader of all kinds of books so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what would be a good purchase for when I finish re-reading roleplaying. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Gamedev actually has a pretty huge resource on books here. If you're looking for personal recomendations, maybe post a bit more about what you're interested in (DirectX, OGL, AI, Graphics, etc).

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
bump
Matt already said it. If you want personal recommendations, you'll need to give us a little more info on exactly what area you're interested in. Is there a particular area of game development (graphics with a certain API, AI, etc?) you're interested in? Are you interested in learning more about a specific genre of games? Do you just want a general programming book to learn more about your language of choice, or perhaps a book on program design, data structures, or similar topics?

Look through the reviews for books that might suit your needs, or pick an area (or a few areas) that you're interested in if you want us to provide some recommendations, otherwise we'd just be recommending completely random books we've read, which may be of absolutely no interest to you.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I think I am looking for something to do like 2d directx in or something that has some 2d/3d stuff. Almost like a roleplaying volume 2, but of course that doesn't exist. Thanks
you can do 2D and 3D in Direct3D (in DirectX8 and up).
or
you can do just 2D with DirectDraw (in DirectX7 and down).

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This is the book for you: Focus On: 2D With Direct3D Probably my fave DX book.

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
A few books you may find worth checking out are:
Focus on 2D in Direct3D.
Game Programming Complete.
Game Programming Gems 5 (any other of this series is also an excellent read).

Out of those three, I think the first sounds most like what you'd probably be interested in, with the other too being a bit more general rather than focussed on a particular topic. Take a look through the reviews and see if they sound like what you're after. I'd highly recommend Focus on 2D in Direct2D however, it's a well written book covering a good range of information.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement