Sign in to follow this  
kdogg

movie player

kdogg    204
I'm making a custom movie player under linux. My first plan was to use SDL and yuv_overlays, but i need several videos displaying at the same time and my video card only supports a single yuv_overlay. My current plan is to use openGL and use video frames as textures on a plane that i'll repeatedly update. Seemingly, this will allow me to do scaling of movies in the hardware freeing up cpu resources, however, the approach seems a little hackish (plus, i'd ultimately like to do yuv-rgb conversions on the video card). I'm using a 3d API to do 2d graphics. I feel like there's probably a more conventional and appropriate to this problem, but googling has come up empty. Anyways, any ideas would be appreciated. Has anyone done something like this before?

Monder    993
This approach should work fine. There's a little demo application in the NVidia SDK which does this (it uses DX but the principles are the same). It uses fragment shaders to perform YUV->RGB conversion as well as post processing and compositing.