Sign in to follow this  
skyfire

anim8or or blender?

skyfire    100
i've figured out how to use anim8or and i think it's a very good 3d modeler. recently, some guy said that blender is way better than anim8or and that you shouldn't use anim8or because people don't make games with it anymore. i tried out blender but there's way too many functions and the interface is way too difficult for me. is it true that blender should be used over anim8or or is this purely one person's opinion?

mike25025    494
I like Blender a lot better then Anim8or. Blender can do everything Anim8or can and more. It can export to almost any format. It has a raytracer, a game engine, and is extendable with python.

It takes a while to get used to Blenders interface but once you learn it you wont want to go back to Anim8or. Read the manual and reread if you have to. It took me a week to get used to Blender.

PurpleAmethyst    335
Anim8or because speed matter and you don't have to try and learn stupid keyboard gymastics. I find with Anim8or you can get stuff done way quicker. I tried Blender for a while, but just got lost in the user interface. Anim8or and Blender are both good though.

Kal_Torak    346
Blender kicks a**! I use it a lot, and while I'm not an expert, I can still do ok with it.

The UI does take a bit of getting used to, as it's not your usual Win-based UI.
But in the longer term it is FAR faster than other Apps.

It has an Video Sequencer Editor that is very cool, I'm making an amimation right now using some of its features.

Sneftel    1788
I've been learning blender for the past couple of weeks. It was an absolute pain in the ass for awhile, but now I'm slowly starting to get the hang of it. Once you get over the bizarre mouse button functions and memorize the most common keyboard commands, it's moderately efficient.

daviangel    604
Quote:
Original post by skyfire
i've figured out how to use anim8or and i think it's a very good 3d modeler. recently, some guy said that blender is way better than anim8or and that you shouldn't use anim8or because people don't make games with it anymore. i tried out blender but there's way too many functions and the interface is way too difficult for me. is it true that blender should be used over anim8or or is this purely one person's opinion?

Well consider that anim8or is a program written by some nvidia programmer in his spare time vs blender that used to be sold commercially and has been around for years I'd say blender is alot more powerful.
I haven't used blender for awhile since I use maya mainly now but yeah I remeber when I first started using it the interface could be pretty confusing and I couldn't even figure out where the render button is or anything!
That's why I got the blender book that shows you how to build all kinds of cool stuff with blender and I got used to it after that. I don't know if my books would even help with newer versions of blender since I heard the changed the interface to make it easier in latest versions?
The bottom line though is that it's alot of work no matter what 3d program you use to make stuff and alot of time learning involved. Hell maya was just as confusing to learn with it's million+ menu's when I started with it too!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Actually the best combination right now is Wings3d for modeling&UV ( www.wings3d.com) and Blender for the rest.

I lean on the Blender side of the fence.

Anim8or is a complete waste of time, and soon you'll realise just how limited you are with it. I started off with Anim8or, and when I made the move to Max (after a few other modelers, of course), I realised how little Anim8or could do. It's not used anymore, nor is it supported.

If you expect to be more than box extruding in 3d art, then make the switch to blender.

Yosh    176
I would deffinately jump for Blender if I were in your shoes. Truely, it has come a LONG way, and from my experience, is a very functional, generally easy to use, and very streamlined modelling and rendering program.

There's even an official book on Blender available for FREE online! Go check out Elysiun (a great community) and Blender's official site. Also, check out Blender3D for some great links and all that jazz.