DOS window problem

Started by
14 comments, last by JayDawg 18 years, 10 months ago
Hi all, First time posting, and I know this is a really dumb problem, but I just started learning C++ with the Beginning C++ Game Programming book by Michael Dawson. Anyways, my problem is getting the DOS window that pops up to stay on screen (the one that comes up when you run your little program after compiling). The book provides a bit of code you can use so you have to press enter to exit, but that only works some of the time, and I know there is a setting in windows or something that allows the DOS window to remain open until you terminate it, I just cannot find it. I am on WinXP Pro SP2, using Bloodshed DevC++, thanks a load for the help!!!
Steam Steam LOL
Advertisement
2 ways, one, run your program from the command prompt

two, add getch(); just before return 0; at the end of main().
and add
#include <stdlib.h>

should do it
Thanks for the help. The command prompt method works just fine, but putting #include <stdlib.h> with the other #includes at the top, and adding getch(); generates an error on the getch(); line. Here is a copy of the code, it's one of the examples in the book (and I added what you mentioned).

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <stdlib.h>

using std::cout;
using std::cin;
using std::endl;
using std::string;

int main()
{
const int GOLD_PIECES = 900;
int adventurers, killed, survivors;
string leader;

//get the information
cout << "Welcome to Lost Fortune\n\n";
cout << "Please enter the following for your personalized adventure\n";

cout << "Enter a number: ";
cin >> adventurers;

cout << "Enter a number, smaller than the first: ";
cin >> killed;

survivors = adventurers - killed;

cout << "Enter your last name: ";
cin >> leader;

//tell the story
cout << "\nA brave group of " << adventurers << " set out on a quest ";
cout << "-- in search of the lost treasure of the Ancient Dwarves. ";
cout << "The group was led by that legendary rogue, " << leader << ".\n";

cout << "\nAlong the way, a band of marauding ogres ambushed the party. ";
cout << "All fought bravely under the command of " << leader;
cout << ", and the ogres were defeated, but at a cost. ";
cout << "Of the adventurers, " << killed << " were vanquished, ";
cout << "leaving just " << survivors << " in the group.\n";

cout << "\nThe party was about to give up all hope. ";
cout << "But while laying the deceased to rest, ";
cout << "they stumbled upon the buried fortune. ";
cout << "So the adventurers split " << GOLD_PIECES << " gold pieces.";
cout << leader << " held on to the extra " << (GOLD_PIECES % survivors);
cout << " pieces to keep things fair of course.\n";

getch();
return 0;
}

Thanks so much again!
Steam Steam LOL
Try #include <cstdlib> instead of <stdlib.h>
I think stdlib.h is deprecated!? Not sure if that helps, though.
Writing errors since 10/25/2003 2:25:56 AM
Gave it a go... gives the exact same error on the line with getch(); So I have no darn clue what to do :| Sucks to try and learn something but you can't see the results really you know? Even if it's dinky stuff like this, still is nice to be able to view it!! Thanks for the try, and if anyone else knows anything, please help!
Steam Steam LOL
getch() is in conio.h. But it isn't part of the standard, so it's not sure you can use it; it depends on what compiler you are using.
use cin.get(); it is standard, as it is part of std::cin
Hmmm... How am I to apply use of cin.get();? It doesn't give me an error or anything if i add it just before return 0; (remember, i'm a brand new beginnner here, so if there's anything assumed by you guys, I probably wont know it), but however it does not fix the issue, the window still closes. I am using Bloodshed Dev C++ 4.9.8.0 to compile and run. Thanks alot for the speedy replies and your time.

UPDATE:
I tried the #include <conio.h> along with getch() and it worked perfectly! Thanks a bunch, I am releived to finally get this issue fixed. I would however still like to know about the cin.get(); and how I might get that one to work, if anyone has a chance.
Steam Steam LOL
void my_pause(){    cout<<"Press [ENTER] to continue."<<endl;    cin.get();}int main(){    my_pause();    return 0;}

Standard pause.
//your code goes below...system("PAUSE");...
My friend wants to learn to program in C++. If he forgets BASIC right away, well, I am worried.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement