Collision detection routines

Started by
3 comments, last by Zakwayda 18 years, 10 months ago
I want to implement a simple collision detection system. and I need algorithms for dynamic OBB-OBB and OBB-AABB intersection, and dynamic OBB-polygon, AABB-polygon intersection tests. could anyone link me to any articles on these stuff ? I couldn't find anything useful on google. thanks

dark-hammer engine - http://www.hmrengine.com

Advertisement
Since you say polygon I assume this is 2d? Dynamic tests for combinations of OBBs, AABBs, and polygons aren't quite 'simple', but aren't too complex. The separating axis method can be used for all the tests you describe. There's an article by Gomez in gamedev->articles->collision detection that describes the algorithm for swept AABBs. The technique can be generalized for OBBs and convex polygons. See geometrictools.com->documentation for an article on the separating axis method as it applies to convex polygons and polyhedra. The method is particularly nice in 2d because there are no degenerate cases to handle.
thanks for the links
unfortunately I'm living in a shit hole, gamasutra.com (article about collision detection is here) is filtered, I think because it looks like kamasutra or something

I've read geometrictools.com articles about collision detection of OBBs , but the writing is mathematically just too complex for me, I can't understand anything that dave elbery writes, I guess they are really advanced.
anyway, I'm planning to cut the OBBs, and just go with AABBs and triangle intersections.

dark-hammer engine - http://www.hmrengine.com

Quote:Original post by sepul
thanks for the links
unfortunately I'm living in a shit hole, gamasutra.com (article about collision detection is here) is filtered, I think because it looks like kamasutra or something

1. try through a proxy
2. disable &#106avascript (iirc gamasutra has a js redirect if you don't have an account)<br><br>from,<br>Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Too bad about gamasutra - that article has a very clear explanation of the swept AABB test, with code. Perhaps Nice Coder's suggestions will help, or you could find some other way to get ahold of the article.

If you haven't already, you might give this article by Dave Eberly a try - it's a little lighter on the math than some of the others, and includes pseudocode for the algorithms described.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement