Sign in to follow this  
santonel

Building an FPS

santonel    106
Hey everyone. I have been programming with opengl for a little while now and attempted a few games with various degrees of success. Now I want to try my hand at a VERY basic FPS type game. So far i've got a simple level file loader , camera movements (strafing , rotation and moving the camera with the mouse) and a quake style console. I was wondering if you guys could hook me up with some tutorials on writing an fps or some sourecode or something (except for the tutorial at nehe which i have already checked out). Or maybe even a really simple 3d engine that I can use as a reference point (I can't really wrap my head around the quake 2 source...) Also I think i have a rough idea of how to do collision detection but how do i detect where the ground is under the player. for instance if the player steps off a high object how do i detect that the player should fall to his death? -Thanks, Santonel

gan    166
Quote:
Original post by santonel
Hey everyone.

I have been programming with opengl for a little while now and attempted a few games with various degrees of success. Now I want to try my hand at a VERY basic FPS type game. So far i've got a simple level file loader , camera movements (strafing , rotation and moving the camera with the mouse) and a quake style console.

I was wondering if you guys could hook me up with some tutorials on writing an fps or some sourecode or something (except for the tutorial at nehe which i have already checked out). Or maybe even a really simple 3d engine that I can use as a reference point (I can't really wrap my head around the quake 2 source...)

Also I think i have a rough idea of how to do collision detection but how do i detect where the ground is under the player. for instance if the player steps off
a high object how do i detect that the player should fall to his death?

-Thanks, Santonel

The moderators of this site have released the src-code for the book they authored.Thanks to them, but try to figure it out if u dun wanna buy the books.

santonel    106
Yeah i've got that book and it's awesome but i'm looking for some info specific to FPS gaming. The q3 level thing is interesting but not what im looking for since i want to keep things simple for now.