Photon Mapping : Photon Tracing

Started by
10 comments, last by ApochPiQ 18 years, 10 months ago
It appears my photon map is finally working right. I am now attempting to render an image using "direct visualisation" of the photon map, that is, simply rendering each pixel's color as the product of the material color times the irradiance estimate obtained from the photon map... This seems to result in garbled results (the colors are wrong). The left wall should be red, right wall should be blue, and back wall should be yellow, the floor and ceiling are white. I believe my photon tracing is the function that was wrong, because before I implemented the russian roulette method, I was actually getting somewhat coherent results. If anyone that is knowledgable about photon mapping would like to help by taking a look at my photon tracing code (I believe its rather intuitive to follow), it would be greatly appreciated.

void CRenderer::TracePhoton(const CScene& Scene, const CRay& Ray, const CColor3f& Power, unsigned int TraceDepth)
{
	// Make sure the max depth was not exceeded
	if (TraceDepth > m_MaxDepth)
		return;

// Declare a vector for the intersection point
	CVector3 Intersect;

// Declare a float for the intersection distance
	float Distance;

// Perform ray casting in the scene
	CSceneObject* pObject = Scene.CastRay(Ray, Intersect, Distance);

// Make sure an object was intersected
	if (!pObject)
		return;

// Get the point attributes at the intersection point
	SPointAttributes Point = pObject->PointAttributes(Intersect);

// Compute the average color at the point
	float ColorAverage = Point.Color.Average();

// Compute the diffuse reflection probability
	float ProbDiffuse = Point.Diffuse * ColorAverage;

// Compute the specular reflection probability
	float ProbSpecular = Point.Specular * ColorAverage;

// Compute the transmission probability
	float ProbTransmit = Point.Transparent * ColorAverage;

// Obtain a random number in the [0,1] range
	float RandomValue = RandomFloat(0.0f, 1.0f);

// If this photon is to be diffusely reflected
	if (RandomValue < ProbDiffuse)
	{
		// Generate a diffuse reflection vector
		CVector3 DiffuseDirection = DiffuseVector(Point.Normal);

// Compute the diffuse power
		CColor3f DiffusePower = (Power * Point.Color) / ProbDiffuse;

// Trace the diffuse photon
		TracePhoton(Scene, CRay(Intersect, DiffuseDirection), DiffusePower, TraceDepth + 1);

m_PhotonMap.AddPhoton(Intersect, Ray.GetDirection(), Power);
	}

// If this photon is to be specularly reflected
	else if (RandomValue < ProbDiffuse + ProbSpecular)
	{
		// Calculate the reflected direction
		CVector3 ReflectedDirection = ReflectedVector(Ray.GetDirection(), Point.Normal);

// Compute the specular power
		CColor3f SpecularPower = (Power * Point.Color) / ProbSpecular;

// Trace the reflected photon
		TracePhoton(Scene, CRay(Intersect, ReflectedDirection), SpecularPower, TraceDepth + 1);
	}

// If this photon is to be transmitted
	else if (RandomValue < ProbDiffuse + ProbSpecular + ProbTransmit)
	{
		// Calculate the refracted direction
		CVector3 RefractedDirection = RefractedVector(Ray.GetDirection(), Point.Normal, Point.Refraction);

// Compute the transmitted power
		CColor3f TransmitPower = (Power * Point.Color) / ProbTransmit;

// Trace the refracted ray to get the refracted color
		TracePhoton(Scene, CRay(Intersect, RefractedDirection), TransmitPower, TraceDepth + 1);
	}

// This photon will be absorbed
	else
	{
		// Add a photon at this point
		//m_PhotonMap.AddPhoton(Intersect, Ray.GetDirection(), Power);
	}
}

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Advertisement
Looks fine to me (both code and the rendered image). The color results are naturally going to be a bit "off" because of the low quality of direct-visualization (you're going to need several million photons in most cases before a direct visual gives you a decent looking result). In any case everything looks correct; there is noticeable color bleeding near the corners of the walls, and the overall illumination patterns are correct - sphere casts a shadow, ceiling and floor are brightly lit near the light source, etc. At the very least I don't see any particular cause for concern. You may want to experiment with the diffuse direction sampler and constrain it a bit more towards the normal, but other than that it looks fine to me.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Yep, I agree, this is what I get from my photon mapping implementation when I do a direct visualization...

http://www.stanford.edu/~jhuang11/images/cornellgood.jpg
Quote:The color results are naturally going to be a bit "off" because of the low quality of direct-visualization (you're going to need several million photons in most cases before a direct visual gives you a decent looking result).

Thats the problem. This was rendered with 2.6 million photons, maximum distance per estimate 0.25, and 100 photons per estimate. The colors seem all mixed up, and there is this weird color band near each wall intersection... Perhaps a filter for the irradiance estimate would help.

Quote:Original post by yellowjon
Yep, I agree, this is what I get from my photon mapping implementation when I do a direct visualization...

http://www.stanford.edu/~jhuang11/images/cornellgood.jpg

Well, yours doesn't have the colors as mixed up as mine.

www.xgameproject.com
There's a couple of things to try. First, like I mentioned before, you might look at a tighter constraint on the diffuse reflection vector; if the constraint is too wide, photons will tend to bounce into "unlikely" places and create unnatural looking lighting in direct visualization.

The other thing to try would be to change the back wall from yellow to white. This won't fix anything, but it will disguise the inaccuracies of direct visualization. I suspect part of what makes your render look less correct is that it has an extra color blending into the lighting, which is unusual for a Cornell box render. However, it is important to remember that even though most renders don't look like they are that mixed up, they actually are - you just can't see it because a large number of photons are white. Making them yellow exposes the inaccuracies. In reality, though, it is actually accurate for there to be mixed-color photons all over the room. If you think of light being emitted from the lightsource in "blobs" rather than discrete photons, you can think of how it would reflect around the room - after a few bounces it will start to become very blurred and mixed. The important thing is not that you have some yellow or red or blue dots mixed into other colors; the important thing is that the average color is, overall, correct.

I don't know what the scale of your scene is, so 0.25 units for the gather means nothing to me, but I generally found that to get a nice direct visualization result takes a much larger gather radius than one might think. A filter obviously can be applied to smooth the results; in fact I've experimented a pre-pass filter that smoothed the direct map in-place (without visualization) to get better results in the final render. The results were fairly good but there are better tricks available. In any case, spending time on filtering these results is a waste, because your first-hit radiance estimate from the raytracer and a good final gathering system will take care of the apparent problems.

Well, I will be performing further experiments ;)

In the meantime, is there a good exposure function to use than clamping the color to (1,1,1), because the floor and ceiling look extremely bright, while the walls look dim. I can intensify the light power, but then the floor will just look pure white.

www.xgameproject.com
Bright coloring is a side-effect of direct visualization. Because DV only looks at a very local area of photons to estimate the radiance, it doesn't create a fully accurate result without a huge number of very carefully balanced photons. Without a filtering function this becomes especially pronounced. These results will go away when you just sample the photon map for irradiance rather than doing DV.

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Bright coloring is a side-effect of direct visualization. Because DV only looks at a very local area of photons to estimate the radiance, it doesn't create a fully accurate result without a huge number of very carefully balanced photons. Without a filtering function this becomes especially pronounced. These results will go away when you just sample the photon map for irradiance rather than doing DV.

I am averaging the irradiance over the radius. What I actually meant is a better mapping function for the color. To answer your previous question, the radius I gave you earlier is metric, and the room is in metric scale as well, it is about 4 meters wide.

www.xgameproject.com
Try increasing your gather radius then. About 0.5 should do it; you can even play with much higher radii to see how it affects the final scene.

Also, remember that in direct visualization, you want to visualize radiance, not irradiance (unless you're just trying to debug the photon map). This means you need to pass the irradiance through the BRDF for each pixel to get a meaningful result. Visualizing irradiance will naturally look different than visualizing radiance, because a direct visualization of irradiance does not account for the surface properties of the materials in the scene. We're used to seeing radiance, so seeing irradiance of course looks a bit odd.

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Try increasing your gather radius then. About 0.5 should do it; you can even play with much higher radii to see how it affects the final scene.

Also, remember that in direct visualization, you want to visualize radiance, not irradiance (unless you're just trying to debug the photon map). This means you need to pass the irradiance through the BRDF for each pixel to get a meaningful result. Visualizing irradiance will naturally look different than visualizing radiance, because a direct visualization of irradiance does not account for the surface properties of the materials in the scene. We're used to seeing radiance, so seeing irradiance of course looks a bit odd.

How would you compute the radiance of a purely diffuse surface?

www.xgameproject.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement