Sign in to follow this  
fuchu

When should I start with 2-D?

fuchu    100
When should I start learning my x's and y's. And when should I start learning my x y z's? (the x y z's) i n t x float y i n t z lol When should I start learning 2-D graphics? Would it be wise after classes? Or later on?

Deranged    668
After classes would be best, I reccomend right after you get OOP basics down, you go get SDL and look at Cone3D and cornerstone SDL tuts.

fuchu    100
Ok 2-D after classes? And 3-D after I get Object OP down? Or does Classes deal with OOP? Oh yeah they do. Stupid question... sorry. After I get my 2-D down I goto get SDL and and look at Cone3D and cornerstone SDL tuts. Right?

Deranged    668
Well, Spend at least a year on 2D before you start on 3d concepts, hamer out some pong, tetris, and spy hunter clones to get a feel for graphics, then start on 3d.

fuchu    100
I know.... a small Mario - like platform game! Sond good? Like A small dude where you through fireballs at little monsters? And then at the end you get a sword and fight off a bigger one? It would just be like a 2 level game. Sound good for a last 2-D game? Or would I not want to do that. Something more like Space Invaders?

fuchu    100
Ok. Good. So I will get classes down where I can use them w/o looking back. And then look a little at 2-D. So is there a specific language of 2-D? Could I have an example for C++? Like is there a specific language like OpenGL?

Monder    993
OpenGL is not a language it is an API. For 2D two popular libraries to use are SDL and Allegro. Allegro has more functionality than SDL (though SDL has a lot of extra libraries listed on the page linked above that can give you this functionality) so you may find you prefer it.

fuchu    100
I will see both soon. I am working on some hangman stuff for when I come back from next week. What is an API? Is DirectX an API?

Roboguy    794
API stands for Application Programming Interface. APIs are interfaces that provide certain functions to help you develop software (such as 3D graphics, in OpenGL's and Direct 3D's case). More information here.

fuchu    100
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I wasn't able to read this til now. I might at as well ask something that might be covered in 2D programming. Today I made my Pacman guy, so there is a start on it. No, it won't be one that looks like the real Pacman. But how would I get my dude to move?
In BASIC but C++ as well you could call it C+BAS+IC.lol.
if scankeydown "Left"(I think) x 32 y 67. Or whatever. So how would I do that in C++? Thanx for the API answering. And how could I do AI? Maybe that is getting a little too advanced there?

{code}
class man;
public:
Move (int x int y);
{/code}
I am about to get OOP down. Just, I was thinking... I don't know when to put those braces down! And then I thought... "Hmm... int main().. function! Open it! It is that way!" Now I just need to learn where to put it. Or vutever. I am getting thinking of other things right now... thanks.