When should I start with 2-D?

Started by
12 comments, last by fuchu 18 years, 10 months ago
OpenGL is not a language it is an API. For 2D two popular libraries to use are SDL and Allegro. Allegro has more functionality than SDL (though SDL has a lot of extra libraries listed on the page linked above that can give you this functionality) so you may find you prefer it.
Advertisement
I will see both soon. I am working on some hangman stuff for when I come back from next week. What is an API? Is DirectX an API?
My friend wants to learn to program in C++. If he forgets BASIC right away, well, I am worried.
API stands for Application Programming Interface. APIs are interfaces that provide certain functions to help you develop software (such as 3D graphics, in OpenGL's and Direct 3D's case). More information here.
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I wasn't able to read this til now. I might at as well ask something that might be covered in 2D programming. Today I made my Pacman guy, so there is a start on it. No, it won't be one that looks like the real Pacman. But how would I get my dude to move?
In BASIC but C++ as well you could call it C+BAS+IC.lol.
if scankeydown "Left"(I think) x 32 y 67. Or whatever. So how would I do that in C++? Thanx for the API answering. And how could I do AI? Maybe that is getting a little too advanced there?

{code}
class man;
public:
Move (int x int y);
{/code}
I am about to get OOP down. Just, I was thinking... I don't know when to put those braces down! And then I thought... "Hmm... int main().. function! Open it! It is that way!" Now I just need to learn where to put it. Or vutever. I am getting thinking of other things right now... thanks.
My friend wants to learn to program in C++. If he forgets BASIC right away, well, I am worried.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement