Text-Adventure Help

Started by
8 comments, last by bunni 18 years, 10 months ago
Im a beginning C++ programmer and am having a little trouble with making text-adventures. Basically, I want it to work like a simplified ZORK. And, if possible could someone sketch out how to do a (C++ please) text-adventure.
Bunni can do pi look: 3.14159265358979323846... 
]-[3110 //0|21])
Advertisement
Set up a file containing the map, divided into rooms. For each room list the exits, descriptions of the room, and items present and other stuff. Then in the program you load this file, store the rooms in the data structure of your choice and the player's current room, and the items on the player's inventory (you also need to keep track of whether the items in the rooms have been picked up or not obviously). Then you set up a loop allowing the player to enter commands, and then parsing the commands, typically taking the first word as the verb (you might just do this all hard coded, or make a file containing all the verbs and some sort of scripting description of what they do, although that might be too complicated for a first attempt) and the following words, if any as the object, and then performing the appropriate action.

It's all pretty elementary really. Is there anything specific you need help on, because in full detail one could write a book.
How about help with making it w/ classes... The problem is how to structure them and how they interact. Like knowing if the player is in thier and stuff.

If someone could point me to a nice tutorial of some sort that would be great as well!
]-[3110 //0|21])
Create classes based on the "things" in your game. Good candidates for classes are rooms, objects, monsters, and possibly the player's character.

Since this is a text adventure, you don't really need a user-interface class, use a simple loop which accepts commands, processes them, and then outputs text back to the player.

I don't know of any published books for a Zork-style game, but you might find something with a Google search such as "text adventure c++".
One way of doing it was to have the player object have a pointer to the current room object. To move between rooms, you can change it to one of the exits stored in the room. You can have rooms describe themselves (i.e. have a member function that prints out a little description), and the player object can interrogate the room object about the other objects it's got (do something like have a function that gets a vector of items).

The best idea would probably be to just sketch out a basic plan of how you think it could work on paper and then try to code it. If you come to an impasse with your coding, change the design a little so that it works better.
Thx Guys... cept, I have no clue how a vector works.
]-[3110 //0|21])
Quote:Original post by krewekomedi
Create classes based on the "things" in your game. Good candidates for classes are rooms, objects, monsters, and possibly the player's character.

Since this is a text adventure, you don't really need a user-interface class, use a simple loop which accepts commands, processes them, and then outputs text back to the player.

I don't know of any published books for a Zork-style game, but you might find something with a Google search such as "text adventure c++".

Actuallly "Sam's Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days" teaches you how to build your own zork sytle game using directx. Although there is alot of directx stuff in there the underlying game engine is in c++ and covers pretty much what you need.
Also all of andre lamothe's books seem to cover a zork-style text based game. He uses C mainly instead of C++ so his language parser is actually easier to understand for a beginner anyways.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by bunni
Basically, I want it to work like a simplified ZORK. And, if possible could someone sketch out how to do a (C++ please) text-adventure.

I thought this bookmark would never come in handy [lol]. Make sure to thank him if you can use it. [wink]
If you aren't ready for vectors, then linked lists probably aren't a good idea either - these are both important tools, but it may be a little early to learn them.

I would suggest a fixed-size array of objects. It's a good concept to learn. You could assume that a character or a room can only hold a certain number of objects and set your arrays at that size. This is not an optimal solution, but it might be a good concept for you to start with.

There are plenty of references online and in print on vectors, linked lists, and arrays. If you have a generl programming c++ book, arrays should be in there.
Thanks! ;D
]-[3110 //0|21])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement