Sign in to follow this  
d h k

EASY: Strange Formula Issue

d h k    439
Hello everybody, I've been having great progress in the last day and now I recently added health bars to my "RTS-like" game. Anyways, over the player object I draw a white healthbar consisting of four lines creating a long rectangle that goes from the left of the player to the right, basically just like the healhbar over units in C&C. Comming to the point, I then try to draw the content of the healthbar in the white box. I use this code:
DrawLine ( globals.screen, player.position_x, player.position_y - 6,
player.position_x + ( ( player.health / 100 ) * 32 ), player.position_y - 6 );
But it ONLY works when the player.health value equals 100. First I thought it may be a rounding error, but when I tried setting player.health to 50 ( that would return 0.5 * 32 = 16 ) it still won't work; it will only display 1 pixel far ( so it returned 0 from the formula obviosly when it should've returned 16 )... But the formula is right, it should work perfectly, what am I doing wrong? The error might be something really dumb, it's about three in the morning here and I didn't get much sleep yesterday... [Edited by - d h k on June 12, 2005 4:20:43 AM]

nprz    692
If player.health is an int, it is probably casting it to an int when it does the division. so try something like float(player.health / 100) instead of just player.health / 100. I'm not positive, maybe float(player.health) / 100, might work as well.

d h k    439
Thanks for the quick response but both your suggestions did not change anything at all...

[Edited by - d h k on June 12, 2005 4:05:06 AM]

nprz    692
OK, I tested the first suggestion and that doesn't work, but

( float(player.health) / 100.0 ) * 32

should work. unless it needs something really extreme like
float( float(player.health) / 100.0 ) * 32

d h k    439
Thank you, it worked now. I forgot that I also set the initial player.health to somehting like 2 or so to debug something, that's why I first thought it wouldn't work...

Thanks again.

EDIT: By the way, is there anyway to get around the warnings: "warning C4244: 'argument' : Possible data loss ( converting 'float' to 'unsigned char' )" ?
I receive this warning for everytime I use the float ( ... ) command.

[Edited by - d h k on June 12, 2005 4:12:17 AM]

Programmer16    2321
Quote:
Original post by d h k
EDIT: By the way, is there anyway to get around the warnings: "warning C4244: 'argument' : Possible data loss ( converting 'float' to 'unsigned char' )" ?
I receive this warning for everytime I use the float ( ... ) command.

#pragma warning(disable: 4244) // disables
//at the end of the code
#pragma warning(default: 4244) // enables

I believe that is correct.

Edit: Oops, I don't really use these that much (so I forgot that instead of ',' you need to use ':').

[Edited by - Programmer16 on June 11, 2005 8:19:43 PM]

d h k    439
Those #pragma expressions just added two more warnings... Both of them are "warning C4081: ':' expected; ',' found"...

Anything I can do against THAT, except disable warning 4081? :)

EDIT: I found the error. :) That was an easy one... Just had to READ the error message...

[Edited by - d h k on June 12, 2005 4:23:55 AM]

Zahlman    1682
Yeah, it's complaining about the cast back from the float result into an integral value (char is an integral, numeric type after all).

Actually though there's a much simpler way to go about it - just do the multiplication first and then the division :) I'll let you think about why it makes a difference. ;)

d h k    439
Thanks for your reply, Zahlmann. I suppose your way is better; when you don't disable warnings it just doesn't have this hacking feel to it.

I do it your way now and it does not create any warnings or anything, but it gives wierd results. With player.health equals 100 it's fine, but once I put it to 99 or anything lower it seems to expand further to the right instead of becoming smaller... Although with my calculator the formula works fine...

Here's the code:

player.position_x + ( ( 100 * 32 ) / player.health ), player.position_y - 6 );

[Edited by - d h k on June 12, 2005 4:00:49 AM]

QuestOfDreams    122
(player.health/100)*32 is not the same as (100*32)/player.health!
player.health*32/100 would be the correct formula
(or with with floats and casts: (unsigned char)(player.health*0.32f) )
remember that an integer division always cuts off the decimal places (no rounding!)

Zahlman    1682
Quote:
Original post by d h k
Thanks for your reply, Zahlmann. I suppose your way is better; when you don't disable warnings it just doesn't have this hacking feel to it.

I do it your way now and it does not create any warnings or anything, but it gives wierd results. With player.health equals 100 it's fine, but once I put it to 99 or anything lower it seems to expand further to the right instead of becoming smaller... Although with my calculator the formula works fine...

Here's the code:

player.position_x + ( ( 100 * 32 ) / player.health ), player.position_y - 6 );

Er. You still want the health to be in the numerator and 100 to be in the denominator. It should be like:

player.position_x + ( ( player.health * 32 ) / 100 ), player.position_y - 6 );

Although, this really makes more sense as a method on the Player:

player.drawHealth(globals.screen);

// in the Player's class

void Player::drawHealth(Screen target) {
// first calculate width and y-position of the bar so that it isn't all one
// huge expression
int health_y = position_y - 6;
int health_w = position_x + ( ( health * 32 ) / 100 );
DrawLine(target, position_x, health_y, position_x + health_w, health_y);
}

See how it eliminates all the "player." spam? :)

d h k    439
Allright, I finally got it. DOn't know why I messed up that formula, I guess I tried the correct formula in the calculator but then forgot to change it in the code or something stupid as that...

Thanks everybody.

Oh, and I will make it a method in player once I can find some time, right now I have lots of things in my code that can be better grouped together in functions/structures/methods...